News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Small knife blade rest - improvisation

Started by ionut, February 07, 2011, 07:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Rob

I've just ordered Leonard Lee's book. It looks like the definitive work on the subject from the excerpts I read. Specifically by that I mean it backs up its assertions with objective fact gained through either accurate measurement or experimentation in laboratory conditions.

In short the "truth"

I have to say the general public frequently have to wade through a veritable quagmire of biased sales messaging and cleverly thought through marketing before they uncover the realities behind tools etc. I've always appreciated the objectivity delivered by the more scientific approach this book appears to take. I'll look forward to reading it and thanks for the steer

If anyone is interested in adjusting the attitude of the person standing behind the tool I recommend you read Robert Pirsig's masterpiece: Zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance

Thanks again Ken

Rob

Best.    Rob.

jeffs55

I am sorry, I do not see the use of this on a small blade knife. While I applaud your efforts at helping and am sure this serves a purpose for you and others I do not see its utility on a small knife blade. I have a little pen knife that this set up could in no way be used to grind the edge. The device illustrated has a short edge but a long body. You can get that long body mounted on the jig shown but not a blade that is less than 1/2 inch wide and that is what I thought we were talking about. What am I missing? thanx
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Herman Trivilino

You would set the blade of your pen knife on top of the long body shown in the photo.
Origin: Big Bang

Elden

Personally I am kicking this rest idea around even for larger knives as well, as I am not satisfied with what is happening out on the tip of the knife. Once I get the camera connected to the computer, I plan to post what is happening, probably in a new post.
Suffice it now to say, the tip end is contacting wheel at a point in a different spot located almost the distance of the width of the knife blade, up the wheel towards the universal support bar. On a 1/2" wide knife that is not too bad, but if the knife is 1" to 1 1/2" wide, that is more variation than is permissible to me. That is the reason that I said in another post, "I parked the Tormek and used my old guided hand sharpening system."
Since then I have set up a knife and played around with it while the Tormek is shut off, trying different things.
TTFN
Elden
Elden

Jeff Farris

Quote from: kb0rvo on January 30, 2013, 12:11:33 AM...
Suffice it now to say, the tip end is contacting wheel at a point in a different spot located almost the distance of the width of the knife blade, up the wheel towards the universal support bar.

Exactly what it is supposed to do. As the distance between the stop and the blade edge decreases, the position on the stone moves to maintain the same bevel angle. If it stays at the same point on the grindstone, the angle will increase as the blade width decreases.
Jeff Farris

Justin

Quote from: kb0rvo on January 30, 2013, 12:11:33 AM
Personally I am kicking this rest idea around even for larger knives as well, as I am not satisfied with what is happening out on the tip of the knife

"I parked the Tormek and used my old guided hand sharpening system."
Since then I have set up a knife and played around with it while the Tormek is shut off, trying different things.
TTFN
Elden

Basically the same situation as me! I have found though that with the way the Tormek is designed it is very hard find a solution i'm happy with. With the tool rest it's not possible to get in close and have the correct angle, i always end up coming round to Ionut's solution. I've never liked using add-ons or extensions as it feels less secure, but we shall see.