News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife tip/point

Started by wk5h, November 27, 2012, 06:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wk5h

I just recently purchased a T7.  I have been drooling over buying one for a few years now, and finally plopped down the money.

I have been able to sharpen my knives fairly sharp using other kits, but, my biggest failure has been with the points on my knives.  I usually always end up rounding the tip to where I produce something similar to a razor sharp butter knife...

What is the correct way to sharpen a knife on my new tormek where I retain a nice pointed sharp tip on my knives?

Elden

Don't really have an answer for your question, however, welcome to the forum. I do know that a sharp point  is possible as I have accidently stabbed my hand with one that had been sharpened. That particular knife had quite a bit of its point broken off, so it was a fairly major reform job. I carefully (to retain the temper) brought it back to a point with a bench grinder as broken portion left the "point" about 3/4" wide. After using the Tormek, it had a wickedly sharp point.
So I guess that if a person would reform the tip on those that are rounded, it would make a difference. Care does have to be used to keep a good point from being rounded off. I understand your sentiments on wanting them to be pointed.
73 de KB0RVO
Elden

jeffs55

You have to carefully follow the curve of the blade so that it touches the wheel the same amount along its entire length. Notice the grind mark along the edge, it should be the same width along its length. If you have to, you can swivel at your waist when you approach the tip so that the knife will remain at the same position relative to the wheel. It is important that you "swing" the blade and not just grind more on the tip than the rest of the blade.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.