News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening a Raffan radius skew

Started by demps, November 04, 2012, 07:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demps

Just got a 1 inch Raffan skew.  Struggling with the sharpening.   From mfg the included angle is 30degrees.   The tormek manual seems to indicate 75mm, 30degree on the jig, but that is not getting me close.   Alternative, the manual recommends 65mm, 30 deg, for a 45 degree included angle, for less experienced turners (like me).   I'm closer to the factory grind, with this set up, but still not there.
Help?    Looking for repeatable set up for this tool.
demps

Jeff Farris

What's the miss on the 65mm protrusion and 30ยบ jig setting? How far is that away from the factory grind?
Jeff Farris

demps

Hi Jeff.
Well, from memory is was far closer to the factory grind than the 75mm.   I tried another method in the interim.   I used the flat platform, set the angle with the long point at centerline to the wheel (to get close to the fact grind), and ground the tool by swinging it from long point to short corner.   Result was very good and mirrored the factory set up.   So, a bit of happy camper at the moment, I was able to raise a burr and then used a couple of swipes from diamond hone to go to real sharp.

I'll not be in the shop for a couple of days, but will set up the 65 prom and report back on how it lines up with what I've now done.  BTW, it cuts really good.
demps

Jeff Farris

To be completely honest, that's how Richard does it (with the SVD-110 platform).  I think you'll find the 65mm protrusion setting to be very close to the same profile. It's a bit easier to keep the radius true using the SVS-50 compared to using the table.
Jeff Farris

demps

Hi Finally got back in the shop.  The 65P and 30* setting is very close to the "match the factory grind" job I did with the platform.  If and when I need to regrind, I'll use that set up.   Thanks much......
demps