News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening a Ray Key Signature Spindle Gouge

Started by ColoradoHermit, October 06, 2012, 09:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColoradoHermit

I'm kinda new to woodturning and in a couple of the books I got on turning boxes they said to get a gouge with a Ray Key grind on it. I found one at www.woodturnerscatalog.com and since I'm a tool nut any who I went a bought it. I figured that since its a special grind on a signature gouge it would come fairly sharp, wrong. It has the shape ground on it but its dull as a butter knife.
It only has about a 3/8 shank so there isn't much to it. The end is about 30 degrees and the right side is ground off almost to the center of the flute at the end and gradually angled out so that it ends about an inch and half back from the end of the gouge. I could use some help with any idea's on how to sharpen it and how to use it, if anybody out there knows.
As for the rest of the Tormek, I'm a retired machinist with over 25 years running machines of all sorts. I think the Tormek is way over priced, especially on its jigs to use it. Not enough use on it yet to say much more other than it does sharpen nice, if you take your time and don't rush it or force it.
Any help on the Ray Key gouge would be appreciated
Thanks 
The ColoradoHermit

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Colorado hermit.  I found this which might interest you:

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=5109

We can certainly use some machinist experience on this forum.  I have long believed the Tormek is capable of doing more in experienced hands, and, with clever machining, a lot more.  I look forward to your future posts.

Is the Tormek overpriced?  I would not argue that it is underpriced.  However, part of the pricing is somewhat beyond the company's control.  By choice, the Tormek is manufactured in Sweden. With a good standard of living for its people and a strong currency, anything manufactured in Sweden will be expensive.  However, like Starrett tools, you get what you pay for. 

Does your Tormek have the EZYlock shaft?  I'm no machinist, however, the quality of the shaft seems very good to me.

Hopefully Jeff will chime in with good advice on sharpening and using the Ray Key gouge.

Ken

Jeff Farris

Richard Raffan uses a similar grind. What is going on here is getting the advantages of a short side grind and a long side grind in one tool. Use one setting for the center of the tool to the long side, and a second for the short side. The tricky part is getting them to blend in the center. I've had the best luck by fully completing the long side first, then doing the short side and carefully monitoring the center.

Review the Owner's Handbook for the method to match settings to an existing grind.
Jeff Farris