News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wheel nut "Freezes"

Started by bubba1, September 19, 2012, 03:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubba1

The nut that holds the grinding wheel to the shaft on my T-7 is very hard to remove.  Harder to loosen with the standard wheel installed than the Japanese Water wheel but hard on both and seems to be getting harder with use.  I can see nothing wrong with the retainer or the shaft other than the retainer nut has a shallow circular groove on the back.  Is this common and what is the fix.     

Herman Trivilino

Have you tried lubricating the threads?  You could upgrade to the stainless EZY-Lock shaft.
Origin: Big Bang

Mike Fairleigh

How are you trying to remove it?  Are you trying to simply turn the nut by itself?  I find it's far easier if you keep the assembly from turning by holding onto the honing wheel with one hand, and turning the grinding wheel - not the nut - in the opposite direction with the other hand.  The nut will come loose on it's own.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

bubba1

Quote from: KSMike on September 19, 2012, 05:04:44 AM
How are you trying to remove it?  Are you trying to simply turn the nut by itself?  I find it's far easier if you keep the assembly from turning by holding onto the honing wheel with one hand, and turning the grinding wheel - not the nut - in the opposite direction with the other hand.  The nut will come loose on it's own.

Thanks, been turning the nut.  Using the wheel works.  Maybe I missed it when looking over the instructions but if it is not included it should be.

bubba1

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on September 19, 2012, 04:24:03 AM
Have you tried lubricating the threads?  You could upgrade to the stainless EZY-Lock shaft.

Yep, tried lubrication.  I may order the stainless shaft but my guess is wrong technique.  Turning the wheel, not the nut works.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Jeff Farris

Bubba,

If you have the EzyLock, it's all stainless already.  You're on the right path, turn the stone not the nut.
Jeff Farris

Jimmy Russells

Quote from: KSMike on September 19, 2012, 05:04:44 AM

Thats wot I do.

Ken S

Jimmy,

You may be turning the wrong direction.  With the switch facing you, hold the honing wheel with your left hand and pull the top of the grinding wheel toward you with your right hand.  The wheel should loosen easily.

Ken

rsaygv

I remember being quite disappointed with my EzyLock the first time I used it, because I didn't know to turn the wheel.  I thought I was going to have to add a pair of vice-grip pliers to the tools at my sharpening station.