News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Motor Heat

Started by Yuushatoushi, August 05, 2012, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuushatoushi

Hi guys, I searched and couldn't find that this question has been asked. 

I recently purchased a Tormek T-7.  It is fantastic!  I sharpened a roughing gouge to a beautiful edge.  I then went on to work with an oval skew chisel I had just purchased.  Unfortunately, it came rater poorly shaped and I have spent a good it of time re-shaping it and still have more to go.  I noticed last night that there was definitely an odor from heat and when I checked the motor cover on the left of the machine had gotten hot enough I couldn't touch it.  I let it sit overnight and then started using it again.  After 5 minutes of use, the motor had gotten quite warm and after 10 minutes I turned it off because it seemed to be getting too hot. 

Is this heat normal?  Will the motor get too hot, or can I use the motor continuously as the book states?

I did notice a puddle under the machine, but based on all the water on the table under the wheel, I'm not sure if it was just water or a clear oil.  Just cleaned it all up.  Probably should have paid more attention!

Thanks,
Chris

Rhino

I can't answer your question about the heat - I'll let someone else do that.

My machine has never shut down due to overheating and I've used it sometimes for over an hour - reshaping a chef's knife with a chipped blade.  I've never done it under the sun or anything in extreme heat.  I would check the voltage coming into the machine - make sure it is within voltage specifications, make sure I am not using a long extension cord etc.  The easiest way is to use one of those Kill-A-Watt devices - it is very useful and I always check all my expensive machines with one.  $26 or so at home depot.

Life is too short to figure it out.  You smelled something and the motor is possibly damaged or the insulation of the winding could already be partially melted.  Since you got it recently, send it back under warranty and get another one.

Mike Fairleigh

My motor gets extremely hot also.  I've assumed the motor is rated for such temperatures.  Many AC induction motors get too hot to touch while in use, the question really is whether they are built to handle that heat.  Now, if your motor "smells hot," then you may indeed have a problem.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

tonylumps

Yes mine runs hot I accidently touched it while cleaning up. Think it is the nature of a low RPM motor. I would contact Tormek get it documented . But take your time you have 7 years to do it.

Yuushatoushi

Thanks for all your feedback.  I guess the motor runs hot for others as well so I won't worry too much unless I notice a performance issue.

Chris

Jeff Farris

As long as you are using the correct voltage for your country, there should be no problem with heat. The motors do run hot, and are designed for it.
Jeff Farris