News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New T7 damaged wheel ?

Started by GeekGirl, August 04, 2012, 02:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeekGirl

Hi all,

I have purchased a T7 I unpacked it yesterday, just pulled out the manuals and DVD. I watched the DVD and read the manual. All is good.

Today I unpacked the machine to set it up and found the Stone has a big chip out of it, it is (assuming wheel is mounted) ~42mm around the circumference, 17mm towards the centre  and 5mm across the grinding edge. If I was to use the truing tool, I would have to remove a thickness of 17mm to get the face back level.

I have posted a picture bellow, I guess this is a warranty return to the point of sale ?

Regards,

Kat.

"I am an Engineer, NOT an English Teacher, God damn it"
Moi, 1999

Herman Trivilino

Maybe if you call them or send this picture to they'll just send you a new one.  You could then keep this one and use it for very rough work.
Origin: Big Bang

GeekGirl

Caught up with the rep at the Perth Wood Show today, was given a new stone on the spot and asked to drop the damaged one back to my supplier when convenient (I will be there tomorrow).

Have had a play with sharpening chisels, the T7 is SO QUIET :), sharpens very well :), was quick too :) ( I managed to re read the manual, set it up and sharpen 8 chisels in ~2 hours (this included grinding off the existing micro bevel :) (as I can sharpen regularly with the T7 I do not need the micro bevel)

Kat.
Moi, 1999

Ken S

Kat,

Welcome to the forum.  I'm pleased the rep stood by the product and made it right. 

You are off to a great start with your chisels. In addition to having some sharp working tools, starting with chisels will also give you a feel for the Tormek and how it cuts.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Ken

GeekGirl

Quote from: Ken S on August 05, 2012, 01:17:01 PM
Kat,

Welcome to the forum.  I'm pleased the rep stood by the product and made it right. 

You are off to a great start with your chisels. In addition to having some sharp working tools, starting with chisels will also give you a feel for the Tormek and how it cuts.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

I will have wood turning tools to sharpen soon (I need to crank the lathe out once I have worked out the settings for sharpening the tools) Today at the Perth Wood Show there were specials on lots of tools :) so I picked up the wood turners kit :) (I will buy the hand tools kit later as I do not need to sharpen knifes at the moment ;)

I will keep people informed, one thing that was good at the show today was the guy doing the Tormek was a newbie, he has only been demoing for three days, which meant I could pick his brains about newbie mistakes. The only one I have found is using the angle master jig. the tool angle tip needs to touch the stone and the tool. If you do it up the tool the angle changes slightly ;)

Kat.
Moi, 1999

Herman Trivilino

Keep in mind that it's much harder to set the angel on knives that have a taper.  Whenever I buy a new knife, I make sure it has no taper.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Kat,

I happen to have the turning tools attachments for my Tormek, although I have never used them.  (i just moved to a house with a basement large enough for a woodshop and am in process of putting one together)

Tormek provides a DVD by Jeff Farris demonstrating how to use the Tormek lathe jigs.  It is very well done and also has a part showing the various turning tools in use.  I would recommend it highly.  I think Tormek has done a fine job of engineering the sharpening of turning tools, in fact much better than sharpening knives.

In my own home shop today, I was working on some clothes drying rods for my wife.  I installed them yesterday, only to discover that the stair rails I used were larger than those I had used in the past.  I needed to make them smaller using the bandsaw and hand planes.  All went well, but my planes are now in need of a session with the Tormek.

As much as I enjoy sharpening things, the real joy is in making them dull.

Do continue to keep us posted.

Ken