News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Emptying Water Tray

Started by Black Mamba, April 04, 2012, 06:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Mamba

Short of picking up the T-7 and emptying the water from the reservoir with the reservoir still attached to the machine, has anyone developed a procedure to remove the reservoir ....still full of water....without spilling water all over the place?

Tom

Herman Trivilino

Origin: Big Bang

thekeeper

Use a short piece of plastic tubing and siphon the water out. Then take the water tub off and blast it out with your garden hose.

ironduke

I have no problem with my 2000, can't say about the new tray or a T-7.  I just carefully lift the tray (while holding it level, water runs downhill in my shop... ;D) off the brackets, move away from the frame about a half inch, and lower it under the wheel.

Seriously, I learned not to overfill the tray above the line marked inside.  Easy to do if you can't see it.  Also, after filling and starting a starting a dry wheel, you should check to be sure that you have enough water left in the tray to cover the wheel bottom...  My wheel will drop the water level almost to the point of clearing the water level in the first few minutes after start-up.  I refill it to the mark. Otherwise I found that I was not getting adequate water after about 30 minutes of operation.

I glued a strong rubber coated magnet (from Staples) to the outside of the tray to collect metal particles from the frass goo.  Works well for us old tray owners and reduces rust coloration of the wheel, but I still empty the tray whenever I use the Tormek. New trays come with magnets.  I also use a small towel under the wheel when the tray is not there so any drips are not problem.

Question for "thekeeper":  If you smile while using the garden hose to clean a tray full of frass, will it clean your teeth too?