News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

push starting my T-3

Started by Simon Carter, February 04, 2012, 01:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Carter

Hi to one and all,

I have recently taken to wood turning and have acquired many and varied tools and machines.  :)
The T-3 is the only one that is perplexing me at the moment! It is not new but is in good condition, however, when I turn it on nowt happens.  :(   I have to give it a push start to get the wheel rotating. No problems after that, none of the "30 minute" woes I've read about (it has taken me over an hour each to get some of chisels to the desired form :o).  Nor have I had any probs with the drive wheel slipping which is curious given the starting problems.
I wonder whether it is the motor or (I think, not being an electrician) the condenser ?

Has anyone else had similar problems or got any ideas for a fix?

Cheers
Simon

Jeff Farris

Simon,

It is the starting capacitor.
Jeff Farris

Simon Carter

Thanks Jeff, Is that something I can replace myself?
Simon

Jeff Farris

Take a look. I am not as familiar with the T-3 as with the T-7, but I think it is one mechanical bolt and two push-on wire connections. It is the small round canister that is attached to the motor.
Jeff Farris

petkatz

A word of advice. Any starting capacitor of the same micro farad and voltage (especially voltage) rating will work just fine so long as you can physically mount it to you T-3. Cheers