News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Micro adjust nut

Started by Bill Solberg, July 11, 2011, 05:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Solberg

Tormek suggests truing in increments of 0.25 mm. I see 8 gradations on the nut. Does anyone know how much dimension is affected by going from one integer to another? It is my impression that most of you are eye-balling your depth of cut by observing the number of gradations you move to. Bill in L.A.
William Solberg
Cape Cod Signs/West
Los Angeles, CA 90034
310 709 3453

GIPPER

Of the two Universal Support bars I recently purchased, each Micro Adjust Nut has Six (6) integers on it.  According to Tormek, each integer moves the bar 0.25mm.  Are you sure yours has eight integers?  Gipper

Bill Solberg

My mistake, Gipper. It is six gradations. While my 2011 Manual 9.7 suggests truing at 0.25 mm, the manual makes no mention (that I can see) that 0.25 mm movement of the vertical support equals the distance between integers. Probably irrelevant as I can see that it is easy to eyeball it. thanks, Bill.
William Solberg
Cape Cod Signs/West
Los Angeles, CA 90034
310 709 3453

GIPPER

Bill,
To further prove to yourself the accuracy of the Micro Adjust Nut, mark off 1" (25.4mm) on the threads of the USB, then count the number of threads.  You should count 17.  Divide 25.4mm by 17 equals 1.5mm per thread.  Now rotate the Micro Adjust nut 360 degrees and you will find it equals one thread, or 1.5mm.  Divide 1.5mm by 6 (integers) equals 0.25mm per integer.  So now you will know that each integer on the Nut is, in fact, 0.25mm.  I do agree that truing by sight, sound, and feel, is better than by the numbers.  Going slower across the stone face is better than going faster.  Too fast will leave parallel grooves across the stone face, not good.  Going slow, smooth face, Good.  Gipper

ionut

Hi Bill,

The adjustment wheel has 6 gradations on each universal support I've seen, it is also documented as having 6 marks.
I usually go with a depth of cut of half the manual sais (1/12 by eye) especially on finer stones than the original one, even if I have to make multiple passes. You can safely co with one mark for depth of cut but you may not need to take that much.
I always find the highest point of the stone and start from there with the depth until I get to cover the entire grinding surface.

Ionut

Ken S

The micro adjusting nut is a clever application of a basic principle.  It works the same way a micrometer does.  A "standard" micrometer usually has a thread cut in the body of 40 threads per inch (tpi).  The collar which revolves around that thread is divided into 25 parts.  Dividing 1/40" by 25 parts equals .001" per division.  If memory serves, the first commercially produced micrometer was made in 1868 by Brown and Sharpe.  (I happen to have one.  It is quite small, having a range of .30".  It was made for measuring the thickness of sheet metal.)

The thread pitch on the Tormek is 1.5mm.  Each revolution covers 1.5mm or roughly 1/16" (.06").  Dividing that by six approximates .01", one one hundredth of an inch.  That's plenty accurate for sharpening purposes.

One of the things which fascinates me about the Tormek is that it doesn't use rocket science.  It uses good basic science, applied with good manufacturing techniques and common sense.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on July 19, 2011, 12:13:35 PM
One of the things which fascinates me about the Tormek is that it doesn't use rocket science.  It uses good basic science, applied with good manufacturing techniques and common sense.

When it first started out, that's what rocket science was.  Then the politicians got involved.  So let that be a warning to all you politicians out there ... stay away from our Tormek tool sharpeners.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S