News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening scraping tools

Started by bldaun, March 09, 2005, 11:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bldaun

I do quite a lot of woodturning and the longer I turn the more I appreciate the difference between sharp tools and really sharp tools.  Consequently, I go to the Tormek quite often.  Lately I have been having a little problem with the sharpening of HSS scrapers.  I have a round nose 1/2", 3/4", and an inch wide square end scraper.  I am sharpening from the horizontal position using the SVD 110 Tool Rest with Torlok.  The problem I have is getting the tool rest tight enough on the support so that it doesn't move slightly while I am grinding and trying to maintain even contact with the surface of the tool rest.  I finally put a pliers on the knob and tightened just very slightly.  That seemed to work but I am just wondering if I am missing something about how to tighten the tool rest sufficiently to avoid the movement problem.

Jeff Farris

I have never experienced this problem. Check the end of your knob.  If it is irregular, smooth it out.  The shape of the hole in the TORLOCK tool rest is patented with a design that makes the problem you are describing    improbable, but apparently not impossible.
Jeff Farris