News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

1/2" SpearPoint Turning Chisel

Started by GIPPER, May 03, 2011, 06:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GIPPER

This is the most challenging task I've faced so far.  Nothing in the Manual illustrates this profile.  The Question is, How do I sharpen this rascal?

Description of tool:
Width: .50"
Shank thickness: 4.05mm = 0.1594"
Bevel Angle each side: about 46 degrees
Angle between the two edges: about 78 degrees
Skew angle each side: about 51 degrees
Back side surface:  flat

I have a couple ideas but none that I like.  Any suggestions from our experts would be appreciated.
I haven't tried to sharpen it yet.  Just going through "dress rehearsal".
Gipper

Jeff Farris

Use the SVD-110 Torlock Tool Rest.

Of course the much larger question is exactly what to do with it once you have in sharp. (Tongue in cheek --- it's not my favorite turning tool).
Jeff Farris

GIPPER

Thanks Jeff.
I tried the SVD-110 Tool Rest both horizontally and vertically.  Neither works because the shank of the tool is too short, only 5" long. It needs to be at least 6" long to work.  So, the best way I can find, is just using the Universal Support to rest the tool on.  That raises another question.  The existing grind marks on the bevel are parallel to the shank.  I'm planning to repeat that unless it is advisable to grind the bevel perpendicular to the bevel edges.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

BTW, I can always use this tool in my "spear-gun", you suppose?  LOL.
Cheers,
Gipper

Jeff Farris

Gipper,

Don't you have the Hand Tool Kit, too?  The back section of the scissors jig works just like the SVD-110, but it is narrower, making it valuable for short tools.
Jeff Farris

GIPPER

Well blow me away!!!
That works fine in both the horizontal and vertical positions.
Thanks very much.
Gipper