News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The stone does not accomplish much when trying to sharpen.

Started by Bob Ebel, April 04, 2011, 09:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Ebel

I have had a Supergrind 2000 for quite a while, but have not used it more than once or twice in the last 8 years. Recently when trying to sharpen several knives, I noticed that the grinding process was not taking off much metal at all. It was not sharpening the knives.

The stone is the original. It is currently 9.5 in. diameter. I have tried to "true" it with a ADV-50 stone truing tool, but that doesn't seem to cut into the stone. I don't know what the bit should look like when it is new, should I see a diamond at the end of it? I thought of purchasing a replacement bit for the ADV-50 but have not found one through retail or on various web sites.

Please give me whatever help you can. Am I on the right track in trying a new bit, or is there some other problem I should attack? 

Ken S

Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

As a quick test, you might try using the coarse side of the stone grader on your stone.

Also, are you using the upper position of the support bar (stone turning into the knife instead of away)?  That should grind more quickly.

Don't get discouraged.  Your problem can be solved.

Ken

Bob Ebel

Thanks for the response, Ken.

I have used the coarse side of the stone grader, and I do have it positioned so that the wheel is moving in the direction you indicated.

I am concerned that my stone truing tool is not working properly.  I don't remember what the truing tool looked like when it was new. Should I be able to see a piece of diamond on the end of the bit? I don't see one.

Jeff Farris

Bob,

In the bronze tip there are multiple diamond cutting particles. They are black, sharp-edged pieces, a bit larger than a grain of coarse sand. There should be a few of them exposed from the bronze at any point in time. If you don't see any, the tip has never been used. If you know that the tip has been used, but you still don't see any cutting material, make another pass over the stone. The bronze wears away very quickly and exposes new cutting material.

Be sure to set the stop bar on the ADV-50D to limit the depth that the cutter cuts into the stone.
Jeff Farris

Ken S

Bob,

Please post your results; that's how we learn.

Ken

Bob Ebel

Thanks Jeff for your response.

I am out of town for several days so I will examine the bit carefully to see if what you described is present. I know the bit has been used but not at all recently. What I remember seeing was some junk which appeared as if there was a particle cemented on, but had broken off.

I am anxious to inspect it and then try it. That may be the end of my problem.  Thanks for your help.

Ken, I will post my progress, thanks again for your interest.

Bob Ebel

I'm back in town now and had a chance to inspect the bit on the truing tool.  Jeff, it is just as you described. Knowing this I was able to approach using the tool with confidence. I was able to improve the condition of the stone, and then sharpen several knives. Although the stone didn't cut as fast as I remember from years ago, it did give me a sharp edge. I believe that with continued use I will get back in practice.  Thanks for your help.

Ken S

Good reply, Bob.  I'm glad your wheel is sharpening better for you. 

Have you sharpened anything besides knives?  I'm basically a chisel guy.  Past posts have talked about working with one chisel (1/2" or 3/4" or whatever you happen to have).  If I can't get a chisel right, I know something is not right.

Keep sharpening and keep posting.

Ken