News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Discoloured grinding wheel

Started by greenfield, March 24, 2011, 02:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do i clean the gringing stone on my old t7.

Scrub
Wire brush

greenfield

Hi all
      I have my t7 a few years now and the grinding wheel has discoloured like rust lines on the wheel. I have left water in the trough for weeks until it dried up due to carelessness. I now want to sell the machine and want to clean the wheel. Can anyone here help? The number on the wheel is SG 250.

Regards Patrick.

ionut

Hi Patrick,

I never empty the water in the throws, I just clean them when there is to much debris or just replenish with water when needed. Since I've mounted magnets on my old throws  and later replaced them with the new version that has a magnet encased, I have not seen any more traces of rust on the wheels.
When that happened I used the grading stone to clean the stone. If in your case it happened on the sides of the stone as well you can use the grading stone on the sides as well.
You should add the garding stone as an option in the pool.

Ionut

greenfield

Thanks ionut
                you were saying that i should use the grading stone as an option in the pool?
I would worry about taking the grading stone to the side of the wheel too as it can take a significant amount of the stone off leaving a smaller working space for the chisels to grind on. My guides got rusty as they lay up too and they work fine with just black marks where the rust was, but i might consider changing them for new ones.
Also the washer on the nut that holds the grinding wheel on is very rusty too so i will have to replace that too.
Thanks for our responce and sorry it took so long for me to answer you.
Regartds
Patrick. :)

ionut

Hi Patrick,

You shouldn't worry because the rust spots are only on the surface of the stone, also the surface being wider you would not be able to press so hard to remove a lot of stone. Besides, the manual suggests flattening the tools on side of the stone which I personally completely disagree with, but for that particular case the only means to restore or prepare the side surface of the stone is the stone grader. Scrubbing may be ineffective and I wouldn't get a wire brush close to it, but again that is me. The rust spots are only on the surface so it is just a matter of cleaning the surface of the stone, I don;t believe you will affect the grinding surface of the stone by using the grader on the sides, unless you do it much to often.
You are saying that your guides are rusty too, what worries me is the fact that all the critical T7 parts, shaft, nuts, universal support, are supposed to be stainless steel, they should get oxidised that badly, most of the different guides are from aluminum casting or machined so they shouldn't be a major issue from the point of view of oxidation.
It is weird because I don't clean much the machines I have, I just use them, I leave the water in the trough sometimes until it evaporates if I don't have anything to sharpen for a long time, which doesn't really happens, but I still didn't experience any rust on all these components.
Yes I was suggesting to add the grader as an option to the pool.

Ionut

greenfield

Hi
   Well here is the story so far.
                                         I took the t7 out to clean the gringstone. I tried to clean it with the special stone for roughing up the grind stone and it was no good. So i dressed the grindstone with the diamond tipped tool and this worked just great. I did not do anything with the side of the main wheel as i felt that eventhough it is discouloured i would be taking away from the width of the grinding area. I have to say that i was wrong in saying there is rust on the guides. They went black in places and a quick rub of steel wool seemed to take the roughness off them although they remain black. The ma1n nut holding on the grindwheel has definatly got rust on it and i dont think this is supposed to happen but considering that this machine was lying in a carpenters workshop for 4 years.

Regards
Patrick.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: greenfield on April 16, 2011, 03:21:45 PM
The ma1n nut holding on the grindwheel has definatly got rust on it and i dont think this is supposed to happen but considering that this machine was lying in a carpenters workshop for 4 years.

That's a pretty dusty environment for those four years.  You may want to blow the dust off of the motor windings.  Also, inspect the mainshaft from underneath the machine for signs of rust. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the side of the grindstone, either.  Mine is rarely used.  Flattening the back side of a new wood chisel is about all I use mine for, and that happens only when I buy a new chisel -- which ain't too often because the ones I do have are nice and sharp!
Origin: Big Bang