News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

sharpening scalloped bread knives

Started by Ken S, March 23, 2011, 10:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I touched up my Henckel bread knife with a ceramic rod, which helped.  I tried gently honing the back edge, which also helped.  I still was not satisfied.

I ordered a sheet of 3M 15m PSA micro abrasive.  I cut a couple inch wide strips and fastened one on a 3/8" dowel.  It worked well with the scalloped knife.  I wore out two strips sharpening the knife.

Ken

Ken S

My bread knife cuts noticeably better after the sharpening.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Mine, too.  But it's a cheap Ecko knife that we've had for decades.  I sharpened it the other day by free-handing the smooth side on the Tormek grindstone graded fine, followed by the honing wheel on both sides.  Works great now.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Hi, Herman. We have now doubled the number of sharp bread knives on the forum!

I have an old Ekco "sandwich knife" that I inherited from my parents.  It's probably older than I am and is still going strong.  Inexpensive, but well made in the USA.

Ken

Ken S

follow up.....The knife is cutting much better.  Yesterday I was cutting a day old bagel.  The knife cut the bagel very well and keenly/cleanly took a thin slice out of my index finger tip. >:(

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Yeah, I was slicing some bread at the dinner table the other day and noticed that the edge felt pretty sharp.  I was so used to using it when it was dull that I'm now afraid I'll accidently cut myself.

Remember the old adage, "Only a dull knife can hurt you"?  It's not true, is it?

Elden

I always tell people, the only knife that is more dangerous than a dull one is a sharp one in the hands of someone who thinks it is dull!
Elden
Elden

nobby1967

I watched a guy on you tube a while back. He used corner of a water stone think it was about 10,000 grit. He started one end of stone as he went along he went into the next corrigation. Very skilfully done made it look so easy. He also sharpend a few Japanese knife as well. Shame I cannot remember his name.

Rob

Best.    Rob.

nobby1967

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Rob

Quote from: nobby1967 on March 24, 2013, 03:57:13 PM
Quote from: Rob on March 17, 2013, 02:12:54 PM
Hack-a-bollock-ov

He was Russian
LOL
I'm sure he was a septic tank

Any of the American contingent know what septic tank means?
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

In America this is how we use them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septic_tank

Not sure what you Brits do with them, and I'm not sure I want to know.   :)

I know you guys don't use garbage disposals, and your water pressure is lower, but I figured you still needed septic tanks!

Rob

That's funny Herman

The previous poster who I can only assume is a Brit was using "cockney rhyming slang" which is a commonly used east end of London based slang. Here's a few examples so you'll get the drift:

Apples and pairs (stairs)
Whistle and flute (suit)
Trouble and strife (wife)
Butchers hook (look)

And of course......septic tank (yank)

So its the brits equivalent of "Limey" essentially.

The link between the function of the septic tank and your esteemed countrymen isn't deliberately insulting, its only because it rhymes that it ever came into use. My guess is its a Second World War origin type thing.

Cockneys would use rhyming slang as follows:  "have a butchers round the corner to see if the trouble and strife is coming"

A wedding suit is frequently referred to as a "wedding whistle"
Best.    Rob.

nobby1967

LOL could not help myself.
Well explained Rob
I'm really an Essex boy My family originates  from the East end.
I'm off for a rosy