News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek EzyLock Upgrade Question

Started by chrisrosenb, February 12, 2011, 04:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisrosenb

I have owned a Tormek sharpener for many years. The shaft was starting to rust, so I decided to get the EzyLock upgrade.
I started to install it today & discovered that there is a small shoulder turned on the shaft at the bearing location on the stone end of the shaft.
The shaft is smaller than the bearing in this area & very sloppy in the bearing. Both new bearings are the same size.
Is the EzyLock shaft designed to be this sloppy in the bearing?

Chris   

Jeff Farris

Chris,

You are using the new bearings that were included with the shaft, correct? They should all be of the proper size and tolerance. If you use a new shaft in old bearings, the fit will not be to tolerance.
Jeff Farris

chrisrosenb

Thank you for the reply Jeff.

I am using the new bearings. The ID of both new bearings is .637 inch.
The hone end of the shaft measures .628 inch, the shoulder on the stone end of the shaft measures .623 inch.

Chris

Jeff Farris

Chris,

Those measurements are within manufacturing tolerance.

The nylon bearings expand and contract, particularly in a humid environment. All the force on the shaft is straight down, and the speed is very slow. The speed makes a tight tolerance fit unnecessary and the presence of water and grinding slough makes it ill-advised.

The machined section of the shaft in the bearing area assures concentricity between the bearing area and the stone mount.
Jeff Farris