News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Given a super grind 2000

Started by FredClarke, February 09, 2011, 08:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredClarke

ok I was given a supergrind 2000 which the owner had used just once and did not like it  the problem  is that it was left in his garage and go wet and rusted I am going to need to remove the rust and repaint it and replace the sticker on the front the one that tells the wheel size.  So i was wondering where i can get a replacement sticker.

I am a little afraid to do anything until I can get that sticker becase it seems that you need to know the wheel size to set many of the jigs

Help where can i get it

Thanks for your help ;D ;D ;D//

brettgrant99

Couldn't you just measure the wheel size with a tape measure?

Brett

Ken S

Fred,

Too bad the original owner was so careless.  I can understand your wanting to replace the sticker.

Page 34 of my copy of the owner's handbook (the section called Safety) shows the label.  In my edition it's for the T7. The label states the electrical requirements for the unit (either 230V 50 HZ for Europe or 115V 60HZ for North America.) it also has an arrow showing the direction of the wheel rotation.

It does indeed show a scale for the diameter of the grinding wheel.  However, on the next page is the label for the 1200 model, which does not have a scale.  Both models use the same accessories.  I assume the scale is to let the owner know when to replace the wheel.  My guess is that most owners never need to replace the first wheel.

The TTS-100 gage for setting turning tools cleverly auto corrects for variations in the wheel diameter.  For the rest of the jigs, I really don't think you need to be concerned about the diameter.

While you are restoring your unit, if the shaft is rusted, I would recommend replacing it with the new EZYlock shaft.  In addition to being stainless, it is an improvement which makes changing the wheel a snap.  (I replaced mine.  It shouldn't take more than about ten of fifteen minutes to change out the shaft.)

If you don't have a copy of the owner's manual, you should be able to register the serial number and download the latest version.  You will also be able to download new revisions as they occur.

Good luck with your "new" Tormek.  The "sweat equity" will help familiarize you with "the innerds" and give you a deeper appreciation of your fine tool.

Ken

glh17

I have the SuperGrind 2000 and it does have the wheel diameter reference sticker.  You need the reference when you use the AngleMaster WM-200.  You select a desired angle and set the appropriate wheel diameter from the sticker when using the AngleMaster.  I don't use it much because I usually reference of the existing bevel of my tool.  It's just a sticker and I'd say you probably could get a replacement.  The sticker must placed at the appropriate place in order to read the diameter correctly.  Jeff could tell you about possible replacement. 

If you want to see how the sticker is used, you can view the video Step 1 Regrind the Bevel under Demo Videos on Sharp Tools USA's home page. 

Ken S

Good point, Gary.  I had a senior moment with the WM-200.  I didn't have much luck using the WM-200, until I set up my Tormek outside one day is very good light.  (My problem was my eyes and poor light , not the unit.)

Brett is right.  All you need to do is measure the stone.  Recheck every few months.

I do believe that the primary purpose of the label is regulatory for the electrical requirements and to indicate the product passed the inspection of whichever regulatory agency is involved.  It would be a good idea to pursue getting a replacement label.

Don't wait for the label to start using your Tormek.  Do watch the sharptools videos.  They are informative.

Ken