News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening business???

Started by pcoz88, December 25, 2010, 04:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcoz88

Could you use a tormek 7 for a sharpening business??Iam looking into starting a home sharpening business.Trying to find right machine that does alot of stuff.Thanks.

Pete

pcoz88

So does any body reading this tread have a sharpening business with one of these machine in their inventory??

Herman Trivilino

Hi Pete,

I think there are a few participants here on this forum who've reported using them at least in part, for a business.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Pete,
You deserve some good answers.  Unfortunately, I don't think you will find them here.  Look at the member statistics.  If you filter out the members who have not posted ten times or more, you can count the remainder on your fingers.  If you do not include Jeff, the moderator, who is very knowledgeable, I come in about fourth.  I am not a professional sharpener.  Ionut, who is the most active participant, has stated he is an amateur.  I'm not sure about Herman or Ern.

I would assume there are some professionals in the membership, and probably a larger numbers of sideline sharpeners.  The bulk of the membership, unfortunately, is mute.  That seems regrettable, because I believe we may have much more expertise in the group.

I would suggest you check out sharpeningmadeeasy.com.  Steve Buttorff seems a very experiences sharpener who uses (several) Tormek machines.

I hope the non posting members will prove me wrong and chime in.

Ken

glh17

I'm don't have a sharpening business and haven't used my Tormek a great deal, but I've seen a few you tube videos featuring people who use the Tormek in their business.  I recall one in particular that used it to sharpen restaurant knives.
I don't know if this helps, but here is a link to a site that discusses the Tormek in a sharpening business.
http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/electric.htm#tormek

pcoz88

Thank -you for all reply's!!I will keep cking back.

Pete

Ken S

Pete,

I have been thinking about you and your post.  As I mentioned, I am not a professional sharpener.  However, if I was to to that, the first thing I would want would be good training.

I would recommend good training for you even before purchasing a machine.  I don't know where you live.  I happen to live in Ohio, so I would contact Steve Bottorff (sharpeningmadeeasy.com).  I have never met him, and am going only be what is on his website.  He offers a two day sharpening class.  It is private instruction, only one student at a time.  Depending on when which class one chooses, you get the opportunity to work with him that Saturday as his apprentice.  Two days of private instruction and a day as an apprentice sound like a solid foundation to me.

At that point, you would know which equipment you wish to purchase.  You would learn about the business end of things as well as how to sharpen.

Steve might be able to recommend someone in your area if Cleveland is out of the question for you.

Perhaps other members have taken Steve's class and would chime in.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

If I visit my local hardware store, they have a little flyer they can give me, listing their sharpening services, and the prices.  The person who does the sharpening is listed on that flyer, and I've talked to him a couple of times on the phone.  Of course, I've had him sharpen a number of things for me, such as carbide-tipped saw blades for my table saw, and hand saws, too.  (I can't sharpen those things with my Tormek).

If I were inclined to go into business for myself, I'd take a close look at those prices, and I'd ask the sharpener if I could come and visit his shop.  Perhaps under the pretence of having to pick up a saw blade that he's recently sharpened for me.
Origin: Big Bang

pcoz88

thanks for the reply. I do live in Ohio about 2 hours from Cleveland.Does any body know what he charges for training?

Ken S

Pete, this is from the website:

The two day school (about 10 hours) is $600.  All classes are one-on-one unless you come with someone; see two-fer special below.  On Day One you will learn my method of combining wet grinding with paper wheel honing and stropping, and become able to sharpen most household knives.  On Day Two you will learn how to sharpen scissors and garden tools.  You can try any of the listed equipment and get some practice time sharpening knives and scissors that you brought. Two days is recommended for anyone thinking about starting a sharpening business.
A one day class (about 6 hours) tailored to your interests is available for $400.  All classes include lunch. 
Sometimes I am working at a market the day after class.  Students are invited to work as my apprentice on these dates and  see my business in operation.
A certificate is awarded upon successful completion of the course.

ionut

Hi Pete,

I am not sharpening as business, but I could easily start doing that considering how much sharpening I have to do for friends and other people, I started to be a bit tired about that because it pulls me back from the real work that for me is woodworking. I don't see anybody not being able to put it together, you don't need much to start with if you consider the Tormek machine, it is easy to use, to learn how to sharpen if you don't know already and the machine will last forever and will sharpen almost anything. The quality of the sharpening  depends on you and it is easy to beat any competition using computerized machines. It may take a while to get it up to speed but that depends of how much effort you put in it, if I would not have woodworking clouding my head I would definitely make a business from it using the Tormek machine.

Ionut

jrg1950

I have only had my T-7 for around a month now.  But I have sharpened knives, ice auger blades, and woodturning tools for friends and relatives and they all come back to have something sharpened so I think that you could start a sharpening business with your T-7.
Joe R. Gray

Ken S

I agree.  I think you could start a sharpening business with your T7.  However, before I might bring my prized Henckel knives to anyone, I would prefer the sharpener have either lots of experience or some good training (preferably both).  I don't mean to discourage you, but rather to spur you on to a higher plain.

Ken

glh17

Quote from: Ken S on December 31, 2010, 01:43:44 AM
I agree.  I think you could start a sharpening business with your T7.  However, before I might bring my prized Henckel knives to anyone, I would prefer the sharpener have either lots of experience or some good training (preferably both).  I don't mean to discourage you, but rather to spur you on to a higher plain.

Ken

I know what you mean.  I put a nice little nasty on my best knife (a Henckel carver) a couple of years ago.  I'd sharpened two or three others and then messed up on the Henckel.  Of course, that was my best one.   For some reason I lost control of the knife jig and scraped the the knife across the stone.  Seems to always happen that way. 

In fact, a few weeks ago I was looking for a 12" combination square.  I have a couple of cheap ones and a Starrett.  Guess which one I couldn't find.  I have no idea what I've done with it.

Ken S

glh17,

You need a good spin doctor.  Your good Henckel knife has only one nick, added previously by an inexperienced sharpener, and corrected by you.  Your fine Starrett square is presently being routinely being checked to insure its legendary accuracy.

Ken