News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Converting Serrated Blades to Straight?

Started by harrski, December 13, 2010, 07:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Good post, Mark.  Good advice and funny, too.  If you could cut your bread the same way, you could have a .5 calorie lunch and make your fortune as part of the great diet hype industry.

Ken

Rob

That was a good thread I ever even realised you could sharpen serrated knives
Best.    Rob.

xetaprime

Thanx to this thread I decided to grind down a set of knives I had. Bought them in a dollar store years ago and never used them because they pretty much just tore the meat apart. I used an electric sharpener chefs choice and it took forever. Did 5 swipes on each side, each knife one at a time over and over until they were done. Didn't want to over heat them. Still want to round the handles a bit but they are sharp! Could use some fine work but was a lot of fun. Should have taken pictures before I started but found a picture of how the blades looked before, on ebay.

Here are the straight edge.

Just wanted to share and thanx for the nudge to do it.

grepper

xetaprime, welcome to the forum!

Nice job!  They look like fine cutting instruments now instead of just an old set of knives getting ready to die. Good work on the handles too.  It's cool how with just a little bit if fun old tools can be restored.  I've done it with lots of old stuff, pruners, chisels, pliers, knives, etc.  It gives them a whole life of service again.

If you round the handles, you maybe tempted to sand the rivet heads to shine them up.  You can do that, but generally they are pretty thin so don't sand away too much.  I've done a bunch of old uncomfortable square handles on the belt grinder.  They are always much nicer to hold after that edge is removed.  Not sure why anyone would make square handled knives in the first place.  Probably quick and cheap to make.

Anyway, great work on the knives!  They look beautiful. :).  You may still have problems cutting your steak, and as it will try to run for it's life when it sees those blades coming.

xetaprime

Thanx  :) I was about to either toss them or give them away before I found this thread. Now I'm really excited to buy some steak but first I'll do the handles. I did of course test them on a tomato. Will probably not go overboard on the handles but enough to lose the sharp corners. It was pretty exciting as the straight edges started appearing I tell ya. Funny how some little things can be so much fun.

xetaprime

I guess this will be my last post about this subject but wanted to show a pic of the rounded handles. What was a lost set of knives have now become my favorite thanx to this site, so again a BIG THANK YOU! A few more coats of tung oil and done. Now I want a nice block or a way to display them. Best to all, Xeta

Ken S

grepper

I second Ken's comment  I can imagine what they feel like to hold now.  You ended up with a really nice set of knives. What a difference from what you started with!