News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Robert Sorby framing slick 3 3/3"

Started by dilangar, November 06, 2010, 10:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dilangar

Greetings all, Would i be able to sharpen a 3 3/8" framers slick with a T7 tormek? I would love to bring that big boy back out of my tool bag but alas he's blunt.I havn't been very successful in hand sharpening :-\ many thanks

Herman Trivilino

Yes.  I'd probably put a c-clamp on it so it would ride along the tool rest as I moved it side-to-side.
Origin: Big Bang

ionut

Depending how thick the blade is you can definitely use the planer jig to sharpen it and you would not have to go to the same setting process as you would normally do with planer or jointer knives. If not then probably I would clamp a piece of wood on the face of the chisel, it is improper called chisel, it looks more like a shovel :) just kidding, so clamp a piece of wood on the face leaving about three 2-3 inches of the blade sticking out. I would make sure the piece of wood is wider and the edge parallel with the cutting edge of the tool must be really parallel. After that I would set my machine for grinding away from me, set the angle and try it. The tool would rest on the tool rest but the wood fence would make sure it stays in place, keeping one hand on the tool to pres it on the universal support and another one close to the edge where grinding happens. Hope that helps.

Ionut

dilangar

Many thanks all, Looks like am gonna order me a tormek  :)