News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Hunter knife with extremely kurved blade?

Started by record, November 15, 2010, 12:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

record

How can i sharpen hunter knife with blade where the tip rises up steeply? I have the svm-45 jig but it doesn´t help on the tip section, I mean that when I sharpen with the jig all the way to the tip the bewell becomes very steep compared to the straight section. Would the universal support help if I sharpen the tip by free hand?  Check the link to see the knife.

http://www.marttiini.fi/suomeksi/Marttiini_Shop/Verkkokauppa.iw3?shopUrl=/Marttiini_Hunting-list.aspx?cultureid=2

Jeff Farris

None of the knives in the linked page seem to have very much curve to them. If those are representative of the one you're having a problem with, I believe the problem is with your technique.

Please take a look at this video. I think it will help you hold a consistent bevel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SharpToolsUSA#p/u/6/fYURcwkKGPs
Jeff Farris

record

The knife is on the page two (2) it's the one with the opening-hook inside the wide blade. Apparently the link didn't showed the knife what I wanted :-[
I have watched pretty much every Tormek sharpening video, maybe I'm still doing something wrong ;D. Should I pull my "handle" arm towards me or lift it straight up or something between those when sharpening the curved section of the blade. I have managed to sharpen standard hunting knifes with success but this model doesn't want to co-operate with me.

Steve T

Hi

I am very new to the Tormek and am still getting used to it.  I have sharpened hunting knives with a steep tip and Henckels boning knives with good success.  I found that if I don't have the holder positioned correctly along the length of the blade (set nearer to the knife handle) the width of the bevel will increase as you move towards the tip.  This is illustrated on page 53 of the user manual.  I tried using a tape measure to centre the jig on the blade and that helped (you may have to move it off-centre, toward the tip to compensate for the curvature).  The other thing is to keep the edge of the jig parallel with the cutting edge of the knife (again, use a tape measure). 

I think that some of the users on this site are very experiened and probably don't need to do all of this measuring to sharpen their knives, but for a new user like me, I found it helpful.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Herman Trivilino

The curvature at the tip of that knife looks the same as my butcher knife.  If you use the same technique as that shown in the ideo clip, you shouldn't have any problem.  (I usually mount the jig closer to the knife tip, though).
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

Record,

I see the knife you're talking about now. I can see that it could cause problems. Again, I believe they can be overcome by rolling the jig axially on the tool support to follow the curve.

Steve,

Likewise, you'll find the jig less sensitive to position along the blade if you rotate axially, rather then pivoting on the black plastic stop.
Jeff Farris

Steve T

Hi Jeff

When I reach the end of the blade, I lift my elbow to follow the curvature of the tip and keep the flat part of the jig firmly against the guide rod.  I don't follow the curved back edge of the jig.  Is this what you mean by rotating axially?

Thanks

Steve

Jeff Farris

Jeff Farris