News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Flattening Chisel Backs

Started by Rick_B, April 14, 2010, 04:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_B

Good morning - I am on a mission to get my chisels in shape.  Step 1 is to flatten the backs.  I have started down a number of different roads and on the advice of others have settlerd into using the side of the Tormek wheel for initial flattening.  For th efirst couple of chisels that worked pretty good and I followed it up with the Tormek honing compound on a piece of MDF.  I was able to get a visibly scratch free surface on about the first 3/4" to 1" of the back.  I know - that's way more than I need but that is the process I am using.

Using the compound on MDF works but is time consuming so my question is can you hone a flattened back on the leather Tormek wheel?  My concern is the the wheel wouldn't address the entire flattened portion without changing the chisel position and that it may impart a slight hollow grind.  Should I stick with a known flat surface for chisel backs or is the wheel going to give me acceptable results?

Thanks!

Jeff Farris

Rick,

The honing wheel is not aggressive enough to change the profile of the tool, unless you are reaaaallllllly patient.  ;D  I use it all the time.  Get the tool flat with the side and then raise a mirror finish with the leather wheel.
Jeff Farris

Rick_B

Thanks Jeff - that's good news!  I'm trying to become Tormek centered so that should work fine.  I should be OK as I am not very patient to begin with  :D

Rick_B

Hey Jeff - as long as we are talking about honing - how much pressure do you use on the leather wheel?  I have often heard you suggest to not be afraid of using too much force with the stone but I am thinking that would not be true with the honing wheel?

Thanks!

Jeff Farris

It's true there, too.  Lean on it.  It is easier to feel where you're cutting and it works a little quicker.
Jeff Farris

Rick_B

Ken S

Another valuable topic which should be reread.

Ken