News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening and grinding Ceramic knives!

Started by RJM, April 09, 2010, 06:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJM

Hello guys,

Just a quick note about using my T-7, with the standard grinding wheel to sharpen (grind) a damaged Kyocera Ceramic knife. I had chipped one of my Ceramic knives, a 1/16 inch chip in it. The chip was located in about the center of the blades cutting edge.  I graded the T-7 wheel for just a minute or so using the the fine side of the grader, sharpened the knife with the wheel turning into the knife and not only did the T-7 sharpen the knife, it was sharper than it was when it originally came from the factory.
The T-7 actually ground out the 1/16 of an inch chip that was in the blade. This all took less than five minutes. I was completely and pleasantly surprised with the results of the T-7. The Tormek grinding wheel is truly an engineering marvel!

Thanks for reading,

Ray

billbertg

What angle did you use to sharpen your ceramic knife?

RJM

I just matched the existing the best I could. I used the ink rub-off method using liquid paper on the black ceramic.

tb444

Hi, i was wondering whether there was much wear to the stone from grinding ceramic and whether you had to regrade the wheel during grinding?

Is good to know that it is capable of grinding ceramic with the standard stone, has anyone trie with the Tormek japanese stone?

RJM

Hi,

I don't think the Ceramic knife used any more of the stone than a metal knife typically does.