News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

small carving knives

Started by old yeller, January 04, 2010, 07:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old yeller

Hi ,I just joined ,I jave a Tormek 2000 with almost every jig you offer ,and love it. The problem I have is how to sharpen small carving tools specifically Butz rough carving and detail knives.They don't fit in any of the jigs I have ,they are just too small.Also how do you sharpen a small palm V tool (ramulsen) I've tried the SVS32??I think thats the one recommended in the manual.I'm new to carving and am having a tough time,I know the machine can do it ,it's just me . Thanks for the help. Jim

Jeff Farris

Jim,

The key to both your small carving knives and your small vee-tool is to get the stone really smooth with the stone grader before you start.  Keep on it until the surface feels like wet glass. 

For the small vee-tool, the SVS-32 is the right jig.  Work in the horizontal base, with the wheel turning away from you. Grind each plane for a few seconds, then at the very middle of the gouge, roll it back and forth like a gouge.  This will remove the little spur that develops when you grind the planes.

The small knives have to be done freehand.  Turn the machine so that the wheel is turning away from you, then hold the knife on the grindstone at the same angle you would use to make a cut.  Follow the contour of the knife, maintaining the same angle.  Do each side about equal time and then do the same thing on the leather honing wheel.
Jeff Farris

old yeller

Thanks Jeff ,I will try that tonight. JIM