News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Improved powder coating?

Started by ega, December 12, 2009, 12:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ega

My only major problem in nearly ten years' light intermittent use of the Supergrind 2000 has been a rusty shaft. When replacing this I also attended to the various areas of rusting on the casing where the powder coating had lifted. Does anyone know in what way this has now been improved? To my mind, any form of powder coating is likely to fail over time in a wet environment. Wouldn't galvanizing be better whilst remaining economic?

As a newcomer to the forum I would just like to add that I have already found it a very useful source of advice and information - thank you!

Herman Trivilino

I don't know if galvanized steel would perform any better than powder coated steel.  My Supergrind 2000 is about 7 years old, and I too had to replace a rusted main shaft.  There are places where the steel casing has started to rust, and the coating has flaked off.

Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

The rust always started with the shaft, which as of a couple years ago has been changed to stainless.  Effective in the 4th quarter of 2009, a new sub coating to the powder coat was introduced. This "E.D." coating both protects the metal and creates a tighter, more water tight bond with the powder coat. 
Jeff Farris

ega

Thanks for this information. I guess we shall have to wait a few years to judge the success of "ED" - whatever that is!

I hope my machine has plenty of life left in it but if I were buying new now I would want the improved coating.