News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wavy Blades

Started by headhog, June 24, 2004, 05:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headhog

I'm a new Tormek owner.  I just tried to sharpen Dewalt 12.5" planer blades.  They turned out wavy.  I'm not sure they were that way to start, but I'm having trouble getting a straight edge.  After reading some other posts on this forum, I believe I might be a little short on patience.  Just how long does it take to sharpen one 12.5" planer blade (in not bad shape to start with)?  Also, how much force should I use?

Jeff Farris

If the blades are dull, but not nicked, you should be able to sharpen them in 10 to 15 minutes per blade.  If the blades are nicked, double that.  Use moderate pressure, set the stop for the amount of blade you want to grind off and work until the blade carrier is rubbing against the stop (support arm).  
Jeff Farris

headhog

Thanks.  I'll give it a shot.  The Tormek is a very good machine that I know I'll use often.