News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Baby Knife Jig?

Started by Kevin, June 10, 2004, 01:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I have been sharpening a lot of knives, and I rarely use the SVM-100 Long Knife Jig.  I do not come across many long, thin knives, although those knives do exist.  As long as the long knife is rigid, I use the SVM-45.  It is easier to make sure that the drop point is sharpened with a constant angle with the SVM-45 jig.

I come across a lot of baby knives that are just too small for the SVM-45 Small Knife Jig.  Many people carry pocket knives that are too small for the SVM-45.  The baby knives are also too small to get in the SVM-45 without the jaws interfering with the stone.  The universal tool rest, SVD-110, even when modified for maneuvering small tools does not seem to work well.  The nice micrometer adjustment capabilities of the SVM-45 and SVM-100 are also gone with that toolrest.

Is Tormek looking to make a "Baby" knife jig, perhaps a SVM-20?

This jig would have smaller, thinner jaws.  The thinner jaws could then clamp on the knife without hitting the stone.  The smaller jaws would allow the jig to clamp on the knife without overhanging the blade.

The distance from the "adjustable stop" to the jaws would have to be smaller on the "baby" knife jig, so the smaller radius drop points on the baby knives could be sharpened without a significant change in the edge angle could be held more constant.  The center of the drop radius on the knife should coincide with the adjustable stop location to keep the edge angle constant along the drop point of the knife.  Keeping the center of the radius of the drop point coincident with the adjustable stop location is much more critical with the baby knives.

The adjustable stop on that baby knife jig would need a more spherical surface than the SVM-45 and SVM-100 to allow the smaller knife to be maneuvered easily.  

Ed

That would be the most popular jig they ever made.

I have two pocket knives and the sharpness of them is of pride to me.  When one needs sharpening I switch to the other.    

The only reason I got two is I thought I lost one, whereas I left it at my daughters apt.  So I bought another.

I would purchase the very first one made.

I have had to modify my 45 jig by grinding down the extra metal on the jig that gets in the way of sharpening my short knives.

CWSNSONS

Kevin, and whomever.  While I see this question was posted originally some time ago; I was intrigued by your post.   I bought a 2006 with the works.   I have a small sharpening business.  I wanted to be able to do scissors and knives with precision.   I can now, with my Tormek.   I started going to the farmer's market/flea market to sharpen.   My first day there with the Tormek, boy was I kept busy... mostly with pocket knives.   I, too, have run into problems using the SVM-45 on those small blades.   Most of my customers carry a Case/Buck/Oldtimer, etc. with 3 blades, one of which is far too small for the SVM-45.   After trying (and grinding off part of my SVM-45), I usually just do it freehand.   The results are "okay", but I'd rather have the precise bevel, etc. that the knife jig affords.   If MHO counts for anything, I would second, third and fourth the Petition for Tormek to develop a "Baby Knife Jig SVM-20" as Suggested.   Otherwise I'm going to have to resort to buying another SVM-45 and modifying it as best as I can.   As you pointed out, however, there will be several drawbacks even to that.   In the meantime, I am very, very pleased with the machine, fixtures, manual and all!  It'll take a while to earn back the $790+ it cost, but in the meantime, being able to do this work with this precision has helped bring in other business as well.

edwardlt1

I have a system which works for me and that is a set of 6 inch bench jointer blades.  They cost about $10.00 at your local home supply store, are six inches long, one inch wide and about 1/8 inch thick (you might want to dull the blades a bit to not nick your fingers when inserting your small knife ).   Insert the small knife between the planer blades then insert the planer blades into your knife jig.  This method extends the length of your jig and allows the correct angle without the jig rubbing the wheel. Adjust accordingly and, voila, you have a great "baby" knife jig.  You can also use the same system to do long filet knives on your Tormek short knife jig.  I can sharpen pen knives (1 1/4") blades with absolute accuracy and the time taken setting up the jig is about one minute longer than just using the Tormek jig.  A bit of tweeking may be necessary on the leading edge of the planer blades to thin them out a bit.  Improvise, improvise.
Ed's Woodshed