News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

blowing off steam, more questions

Started by bnlsrv, April 29, 2004, 12:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnlsrv

Sorry for ventilating  :-[.
Is it normal after doing 3 jointer blades and 1 double edge planer blade to have to true the wheel 3 times during the proceess?
Is it normal for the wheel to wear at the edges, more so on the hone wheel side, rather then evenly across?
My wheel went from 248 to 245 mm in this session, is that normal?
Do you have to check for trueness after every pass?

Looking for answers, 'cuz I hate letting things beat me.
Bill in the midwest.

Ed

Although I have not sharpened those yet.  I feel safe in saying that something is not Kosher.

I was just thinking. How do you make sure that you get all three (or whatever amount of blades you use) blades to match each other.  

bnlsrv

I never thought of that. On the jointer blades I don't think that's necessary because there are adjusters for each blade. But on my planer I have no adjusters. So looks like I'll have to go back and do each side of each blade to get them matched. Nuts!! :(
Bill in the midwest.

Jeff Farris

I think you need to take a deep breath and step back for a minute.  There is no way you should have trued up the wheel 3 times in sharpening a couple sets of blades.  

It sounds like you are trying to cut too much with each setting.  The one and only way that you can end up with a "wavy" edge is to not utilize the mechanical stop feature of the SVH-320.  Zero out the blade to the grindstone carefully, then adjust the dials up by half a turn.  Then loosen the locking knobs and drop the unit onto the dials.  This will lower the unit 20 thousandths closer to the grindstone.  Grind until the blade carrier is resting against the support beam, and then use gentle pressure for another 5 or 10 minutes.  This should result in a straight edge.

As for a re-design, are the tens of thousands of satisfied customers all over the world wrong?  I deleted your other post.  One rant is enough.  I want this forum to be a place where people can learn about the system and get help with their problems, but I will not tolerate bad-mouthing the TORMEK system or design unjustly.  
Jeff Farris

bnlsrv

Fair enough, and I'll try it just as you say. I'm hopeful this jig will work as well as the others.
Bill in the midwest.

Ed

Quote from: Ed on April 30, 2004, 04:10:46 AM
I was just thinking. How do you make sure that you get all three (or whatever amount of blades you use) blades to match each other.  
I wat just thinking,  couldn't Tormek make a  jig that will hold all three blades that each is offset just a small amount, so that you could mount all three blades in the jig and you could sharpen all three at the same time and be assured of an exact matching set of blades.

I am speculating, I have no idea if it is possible

Jeff Farris

Ed, it already works that way.  The unit works to a mechanical stop and indexes from the back of the blade.  Do the worst blade first, and then everything is preset for blades 2 and 3.  If used correctly, all three blades will be exactly the same.
Jeff Farris

Ed

I will trust you on that,  I can not picture how you can be assured that they will all be exactly the same.  
But I have no reason to doubt you even though I do not understand it