News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Microadjust Universal Tool Support

Started by Ed, April 18, 2004, 07:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

I posted this on a different board before I found this one today
so I am reposting it here

Some of  you may remember, or not,  I modified my Universal tool support (UTS) by cutting in the threads and using a fine thread nut for the adjuster.  It worked very well for me.
But when I was ordering parts from SharpTools, so I ordered one of the New ones that are factory threaded.

Since I got the new one, I have been very disappointed in it.  When I go to adjust it, I am constantly loosening the lock knob and finding it is already loose.
The UTS is so tight in the support base that I have to pull it up with two hands,  to adjust it I have to lift it and then turn the knob and then bang in back down.

Why is this thing so tight,  Should I be waxing or polishing the legs to make them slide easily or maybe there is something I need to add to the base, should I add 3in1 oil to it?
I have gone back to my old UTS because it fits and works perfectly.  

What do I need to do to make this work properly and/or fit properly.  I am open to suggestions and recommendations

Ed Bornstein
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

Ed

Is there no answer for this.
Why is it so hard to get my Micro-adjust Universal Tool Support to fit into my support base?
The support base is in excellant condition.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, I just went out and checked everything between my new and old one.  The treaded leg of the one I modified if a little smaller in diameter.  
I took the new unit and put the legs into each base support hole and each one slides into each support without a problem, but I did find that the legs are a little farther apart than my old one.  That seems to be the problem, NOW what is my course of action.  Do I return it, if possible, and will another be any different than what I have now.  Or do I grind down one of the legs??

I figure it should be the unthreaded leg, I am just trying to figure out if I should grind the inside or outside of the leg, or both sides.    Do I use the tormek for this or do I use wet-dry sandpaper to reduce the entire diameter of the leg?

What do you guys think?

Jeff Farris

I had to get back to the office and take a closer look at a machine before I could address this issue.  Now that I have had a chance to confirm a few things, I can talk (write) without putting my foot in my mouth.

There is some variance in the spacing of the legs of the Universal Tool Support(s).  This has been minimized by the use of jigs in their manufacture, but holding tolerance better than it is held now would involve a serious change in methods and a significant increase in production costs.  However, that variance has been allowed for in other parts of the design.

The sleeves that the Universal Tool Support go into are secured to the frame with 27mm nuts.  The holes in the frame are slightly over-sized in one direction to allow for variation in the Universal Tool Support legs.  If your Universal Tool Support is stiff moving up and down, and the shafts and sleeves are clean and shiny, then you need to re-adjust the sleeves.  Loosen the 27mm nuts inside the frame, install the Universal Tool Support (the new one) in the sleeves, and tighten the 27mm nuts back.  This should adjust the sleeves to the new Universal Tool Support.

If you are saying that the Micro-Adjust Universal Tool Support does not fit in the horizontal base (of which one hole is over-sized), then your new support is out of tolerance, and we will replace it.

Sorry for the delay in getting an answer on this, but I wanted to make sure that I was right before I pointed this out, and we had to drive to Chicago this week.  Got back late last night.

Jeff Farris

Ed

thanks    I check the horizontal and I do not think it was as bad as the other.   I will double check it when I get back out to the shop and let you know