News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

trouble sharpening 6 inch jointer blade

Started by bnlsrv, April 13, 2004, 03:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnlsrv

While trying to set up the jointer blades after sharpening I noticed that each blade (3) had a tapered grind, about 1 inch long. All on the same side for each blade. At its widest (outer edge) it's about 1/64th inch.
When I trued the stone with the diamond device, and then switched to the planer / jointer attachment I noticed that the bar didn't really sit square in relation to the wheel - I had to really "force" it down on one side and screw the holder knobs down in order to hold it there. Even after doing that I still wasn't sure if the planer attachment was square to the wheel.

Anybody have a similar problem?
Bill ???
Bill in the midwest.

Jeff Farris

What is the age of your unit and have you used it before?  There was a batch of planer blade attachments a few years ago that were severely out of square and required too much force to align the unit to the stone.  Where did you buy your unit?  Regardless of where you bought it, if you find that it is defective, I will help you get a warranty claim taken care of.
Jeff Farris

bnlsrv

Jeff, I bought the system from you 2/21/04 at the West Allis State Fair WoodShow. What method would I use to determine accurately if the attachment is out of square with the Tormek base/ holder?
I checked the universal support with a square - one edge on the threaded rod the other on the bar, it's good.
Planer/Jointer Jig: one edge on threaded rod, the other on support plate edge with the plastic strip (part #1) it's off 1/16 inch in 6.75 inches.
Not sure though if that's supposed to be square, though I would think it would have to be. If you send out a new one, would you please check it? I want to make sure this problem isn't caused by me!

Bill
Bill in the midwest.

Jeff Farris

I am leaving for a show in the morning, but call the office and talk to Gene.  Let's send you a replacement on the assumption that your unit is out of square.  Sounds like it is.

Jeff Farris