News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVA-170 Axe Jig is retiring

Started by Hugo Öhman, September 16, 2024, 11:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugo Öhman

Dear Tormek Forum members,

As per tradition we wanted to give you guys a little pre-information: Tomorrow on September 17 at 3 pm Swedish time we are saying goodbye to an old friend - the SVA-170 Axe Jig is retiring (finally, frankly) after a long and loyal service. We look forward to new and exciting things! Stay tuned  ;D

/Hugo from Tormek

Ken S

Thank you for posting, Hugo. We are eagerly awaiting online class #25 tomorrow
(Sept 17 at 9:30 EST).

I hope you can provide some history about the present SVA-170 jig, such as when it was first introduced and if it was the first Tormek Ax jig.

Ken

glider

Can't wait! Axes is what brought me in to sharpening in the first place, and although some axes fits perfectly in the SVA-170, most doesn't.

Looking forward to what all the clever people at Tormek has come up with.

CopperFish

I'm guessing the new product launch email I just got is related to this.

John Hancock Sr

I have sharpened many hatchets and an axe in my short time using the Tormek. One had about a 3 mm round over on the edge. This latter was being used by my son's neighbour who was wondering why it was not cutting. TBH I will not miss the old Axe jig. Not a huge fan.

Ken S

In case anyone is having difficulty finding the new online class, here is a link:

https://www.youtube.com/live/5cll8S5zx8E?si=2NQs8P00naKRFO_6

Ken

Ken S

I just watched the new online class. I am impressed with the new AX-40 axe jig!
Once again, the Tormek Development Team has cleverly built on innovations from previous other jigs to build a better product. Well done!

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on September 17, 2024, 04:54:05 PMOnce again, the Tormek Development Team has cleverly built ...

I agree. Just watching now and this will definitely be added to my jigs. Looks nice.

John Hancock Sr

John Hancock Sr

Nice to see some familiar names mentioned from the chat.

John Hancock Sr

tgbto

This looks like a fine piece of hardware.

Still, I am as ever skeptical of the convexing ability of the dual-stop mechanism. For small bevels, I don't think it matters, but on large bevels such as axes or hatchets ?!? Removing the marker further up is no guarantee of convexity, and with the time spent grinding the edge in the first place, Sebastian for sure did not significantly change the geometry of the bevel.

If the material is hard it will take forever, and if the material is soft the result will be quite random.

I'm not even sure the result is guaranteed to be convex : To convex it properly in such a fashion, one would have to master the time spent at each angle and therefore at every point in between the stops. By going up/down/up/down, shlak/shlak/shlak/shlak, who says the end result is not something akin to the attached drawing ? Probably compounded with a less homogeneous finish along the edge axis...

Dimensions are obviously not to scale to increase curvatures, but I don't see a physical reason why it wouldn't end up like so. Or even something that remains concave, although to a lesser extent than when sharpening the edge only.

IMO, if convexity matters, a belt sander is the way to go.

Ken S

Tgbto,

I respect your thoughts as an experienced. However, with the AX-40, I don't see where any of us have enough actual work time with it to offer more than initial impressions. I will look forward to reading your thoughts after hours of use. I will also anticipate your thoughts on flat grinding with the AX-40.

Ken