News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVA-170 Axe Jig is retiring

Started by Hugo Öhman, September 16, 2024, 11:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

TGBTO,

Your posts are both logical and diplomatic; I appreciate both.

When the KJ-45 was first introduced, I was pleased to see Tormek finally producing a self centering knife jig. The convexing and ability to handle cleavers struckme as after thoughts. Not bad thoughts, but not main attractions. I admit I may be biased by sharpening conventional kitchen knives almost exclusively And by already having a US-430 support bar. In my opinion, the US-430 is the better tool for cleavers. However, the KJ-45 seems an adequate tool for these functions.

I have been surprised with the small number of posts about convexing with the
KJ-45. I am pleased with the increased holding power and flexibility of the AX-40 and somewhat surprised by the lack of forum chatter about convexing with it. Time will tell if interest in convexing picks up.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on September 23, 2024, 04:26:55 PMI have been surprised with the small number of posts about convexing with the KJ-45
When I sharpened my hatchets and axes by hand I would always convex since it was really easy, not for any other reason. I know professional competitors will hone their axe face to ultimate precision but for me it is pretty much "get it cutting". I got to the point where I could shave with the axe pre Tormek but that took so long. Now I can get the same result in a fraction of the time and am soo looking forward to trying out the new jig.
For me the idea of concave vs convex vs flat is a moot point.

Ken S