News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

too much information

Started by Ken S, August 20, 2024, 06:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I do not pretend that Tormek is infallible of the only source of good information.
I do believe that the Tormek technique and ideas are solid and based on fifty years experience. With that in mind, I will suggest that new users confine their studies to the handbook and the Tormek online classes. Also, I suggest foregoing purchases from third party vendors initially.

I can foresee some resistance to this idea, and extra explanation is needed. Probably the most prevalent other source of information isthe book and videos by our friend and member the late Vadim Kriachuk of Knife Grinders Australia, known to us by his forum name of Wootz. I hold Wootz in the highest fond regards and do not disagree with his methods. However, I believe his ideas are more appropriate for more advanced users.

Nor do I have any complaints with the present third party vendors of Tormek related products. Over the years, I have purchased products from most of them and have always found the service and products satisfactory. I include CBN wheels in this comment.

For new users, I recommend only the SG grinding wheel. I am not alone in this. This is the preferred grinding wheel of the Tormek instructors on the online classes, who have ready access to any of the Tormek wheels if they desire. The SG wheel is also recommended by several experienced forum members. No diamond or CBN wheels. No SJ or SB wheels or off brand wheels. The SG is rugged and can be graded to different grits.

Stick with the Tormek leather honing wheel and PA-70 honing compound. No third party felt or MDF wheels or other honing compounds, including diamond compounds.

I do not mean this to sound narrow minded. My point is to really master the basic traditional Tormek technique. Once you have this solid foundation, you can intelligently explore other options. If you start with CBN, diamond, or the SJ wheel prematurely, you will not master the basic technique. (Sharpening three knives does not qualify as a suitable apprenticeship period.)

The handbook and online classes are valuable learning references. I have read through the handbook several times over the years and am rewatching the online  the online classes regularly. I continue learning from them.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on August 20, 2024, 06:10:57 PMI will suggest that new users confine their studies to the handbook and the Tormek online classes. Also, I suggest foregoing purchases from third party vendors initially.

I think that this is good advice. Most sharpening is absolutely fine with the SG leather honing wheel, appropriate jigs, and solid technique with some practice to hone your skills. You can easily achieve better than razor sharp that way with more than satisfactory results.

If in time you want to go ahead and spend time and money on additional equipment then that initial experience will make you better informed to make more wise choices.

Ken S

John, great minds often think alike. 

:) Ken

RichColvin

I agree with Ken, especially as I have found the SG to oftentimes be the fastest grinding media to use.  I have all 6 of the Tormek grinding stones, but I often find myself preferring to use the SG.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Thank you, Ken, for laying it out like that. 

I agree and have advocated the similarly  elsewhere in regard to struggles new users have dealt with (albeit in much less detail).  The handbook has been around a long time, although I don't know how much it has been updated much with newer Tormek advances.  The online classes have contributed very much to the information new users hunger for and need.  They are a crucial resource for new users and I suspect good for more experienced users to revisit. 
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

John_B

Typically I am the type that cannot resist buying extras for my activities. When I got the T-8 I lusted after the Japanese wheel and then the diamond and CBN wheels. I did break down and got a Front Vertical Base (FVB), an extra leather wheel for use with 1 micron diamonds and the longer support bar. I am now glad I did not invest further. I have not been asked to sharpen any super steel knives and with my setup I can return knives far sharper than they came from the factory. I find that I only use the extra honing wheel and diamonds for my own knives. I think my next purchase if I do make one will be a belt sander. Repairing and reprofiling knives with the standard stone is very time consuming for these tasks.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

To all who have replied,

My original comment was directed to new and prospective users. You guys are all "old Tormek hands". I am not someone who lives in a glass house. The preaching was somewhat directed to me. Over the years, I have accumulated a lot more Tormek related stuff than I will ever need, including over twenty assorted grinding wheels. In addition to studying the online classes, I have probably watched all or part of the mediocre videos, as well as the good non Tormek videos. I have not found much of this an efficient use of my time or money. My goal, which I believe is shared with you all, is to give our new users a good start.

Thanks for your support with this.

Ken

Columbo

KEN,

Overall, that is good advice directed to those of us just starting out. Naturally me included. I sense though, that you sense there's a "But" somewhere in this. Yes, there is.

I would not agree that this is a universal rule for all newbies. Remember some of us learn quicker and buy all the necessary gadgets upfront. I slowly did over the last two months or maybe somewhat a little more; when this Knife Sharpening bug hit me and hit me good.

The original Tormek Stone has its advantages so as their leather and composite wheels. But they are limiting.

I have all the Tormek diamond and other stones now on hand. now, diamond as we all know is the top of the line compared to its brother CBN.

What started my trip on CBN wheels was the fact of maybe saving the expenses of constantly having to add ACC to the water. So started my research on CBN that others have voiced, and have claimed that they can be run in normal tapwater. I like that very much. Having said this, I have ordered CBN from our well-known US distributor, a Swedish distributor, and of course, German. The US guy will not claim that they can be run in normal tapwater, although there have been videos where others have done youtube experiments with honerite and plain water and has found that the honerite works well with CBN wheels. Having said that, I prefer normal tap water as always an option.
So again can this happens somewhat quickly over the last 70 days or so since I started. you see some people newbies as I, as I'm sure there are many other newbies as well that somewhat speed up the process, and possibly learn a little quicker and like to get the more fine tuned equipment if you will.

I love CBN in plain water as I love diamond wheels. I love the diamond pastes. I like making my own chromium oxide paste that I've learned the process through knife grinders videos.

These additives for me, and I have to say for me. It's my opinion have way enhanced the sharpness of my knife edges. What has really exploded it to a higher plateau is kangaroo tails.

I'd love some information on purchasing the hardware rather than me making it to make my own strops?

anyway, I don't want to write a storybook here. Your advice is good but I wouldn't say it's universal that's all Ken. My apologies upfront with somewhat disagreeing, but I'm sure you get the gist of this.

I truly want to thank you for your help behind the scenes to various information needs I have.

My next mission is awaiting a gentleman in Australia for him to source the history of these tales so as He can then apply for all the paperwork to be able to export. But since then I found others that have already made kangaroo tales. Also having said this when I want to do is re-glue a kangaroo tail on a 200mm wheel for my T8. Now I know someone will say hell you can get away with it with a scrap and I do thus far but why not; I've seen of such methods. Which leaves me really intrigued. The key is merging that joint on their ends.

Anyway, enough for now thank you Phil

Ken S

Please allow me to clarify some things.  What I post are my opinions. While based on fifteen years experience with the Tormek and many more years of sharpening and much study, I do not have any illusions  that they are gospel or the only way for all beginners. I consider myself still learning.

Like you, I purchased almost the entire Tormek system early on, including several CBN wheels. I do not consider them to be inferior to diamond wheels. Yes, there are differences; however, either will get the job done. I happen to prefer Tormek diamond wheels, but that is just my opinion. In my case, the SG-250 is adequate for my needs. Your needs may be different, which is fine with me.

I do object to the frequent misinformation about the cost or inconvenience of ACC. I have never seen cost documentation from those who make those claims. Each Tormek diamond wheel comes with a 150ml bottle of ACC. A trough full of solution for the T8 requires 125ml of water and 5ml of ACC. This solution can be reused. In addition to rust prevention, it keeps both the wheel and the tools clean. It also keeps the sharpening process water cooled and does not require scrubbing with PB Blaster. Do the math for cost, and compare it with the cost of a set of CBN wheels. (Many users have both diamond and CBN wheels.)
Compare the sales pitches of the CBN vendors and Tormek equally critically.

I see nothing wrong with purchasing more gear, as long as it dies not interfere with the learning process. I hope your Tormek experience will be a source of long term satisfaction.

Ken

Columbo

Quote from: Ken S on August 20, 2024, 06:10:57 PMI do not pretend that Tormek is infallible of the only source of good information.
I do believe that the Tormek technique and ideas are solid and based on fifty years experience. With that in mind, I will suggest that new users confine their studies to the handbook and the Tormek online classes. Also, I suggest foregoing purchases from third party vendors initially.

I can foresee some resistance to this idea, and extra explanation is needed. Probably the most prevalent other source of information isthe book and videos by our friend and member the late Vadim Kriachuk of Knife Grinders Australia, known to us by his forum name of Wootz. I hold Wootz in the highest fond regards and do not disagree with his methods. However, I believe his ideas are more appropriate for more advanced users.

Nor do I have any complaints with the present third party vendors of Tormek related products. Over the years, I have purchased products from most of them and have always found the service and products satisfactory. I include CBN wheels in this comment.

For new users, I recommend only the SG grinding wheel. I am not alone in this. This is the preferred grinding wheel of the Tormek instructors on the online classes, who have ready access to any of the Tormek wheels if they desire. The SG wheel is also recommended by several experienced forum members. No diamond or CBN wheels. No SJ or SB wheels or off brand wheels. The SG is rugged and can be graded to different grits.

Stick with the Tormek leather honing wheel and PA-70 honing compound. No third party felt or MDF wheels or other honing compounds, including diamond compounds.

I do not mean this to sound narrow minded. My point is to really master the basic traditional Tormek technique. Once you have this solid foundation, you can intelligently explore other options. If you start with CBN, diamond, or the SJ wheel prematurely, you will not master the basic technique. (Sharpening three knives does not qualify as a suitable apprenticeship period.)

The handbook and online classes are valuable learning references. I have read through the handbook several times over the years and am rewatching the online  the online classes regularly. I continue learning from them.

Ken