News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T8 Original and dehoning leather

Started by Kick71, August 20, 2024, 12:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kick71

To France :-)

Good evening,

Very happy with my recent purchase of this T8 machine which does a very good job.
Concerning dehoning, I seem to have a problem with the dehoning leather:

Indeed, at the junction of the leather, a bump is present, and when sharpening, my sharpening tool (wood chisel or knife) tends to jump on it. Very unpleasant, and certainly not optimal for good defiling.

What should I do? Or what can you do for this problem?

Best regard
Christian

John Hancock Sr

There does seem to be a slight ridge at the leather joins on the wheel. A couple of suggestions. If you have a Dremel or similar use a fine sanding drum to level the wheel at the join. Run your fingers around the wheel over the ridge to test the smoothness - your finger tips are really sensitive and you should be able to gauge the smoothness really well. The other thing you can do is use a very sharp knife to pare away the ridge. I have leather skiving knives which are perfect for this. then sand the surface smooth since the knife will leave a slightly uneven surface.

Ken S

The standard advice from Tormek is to rub the joint splice with a piece of sandpaper. That will take down the high spot. This is covered in several of the online classes.

Ken

Kick71

Thank you all for your responses.
Sincerely

Christian