News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

sea changes

Started by Ken S, June 17, 2024, 05:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

v6turbo

I am very happy with the KS-123 if i could make one change - it would be 1/4 and 1/2 degree tick marks. also dent type thing so you KNOW its in the setting you want (viewing angle matters)

not a huge deal or anything just nice to have type stuff - granted would add cost - i personally would pay for it :)

Ken S

V6turbo,

For most of my adult life, I have had a hobby interest in precision measurement. Some of that knowledge applies to your reply.

Different measuring tools have different ranges of precision. Tools are tailored to the job requirements and price point requirements. Both the KS-123 and the Anglemaster use photoetched graduation lines. These are easy to read and inexpensive to produce. Compared to engine cut sharp V lines and Vernier scales, they are not very precise. This is not a problem. A knife edge does not need to mate with another surface. Switching to finer graduations, engine cut graduation lines, or adding a Vernier scale would increase costs substantially. The price of the jig would easily be doubled or more with no practical benefit.

With any measuring tool, a technician trained in measurement would instinctively avoid parallax error. Parallax is just looking at the scale straight on to avoid viewing error. It is not a major problem. Once you understand it, it becomes second nature. Unfortunately, this was not well explained in an otherwise excellent online class.

As you have found, the KS-123 is a remarkable new tool, a fine example of ongoing Tormek innovation.

Keep us posted.

Ken