News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Angel for sharpening knives

Started by ST, June 01, 2024, 10:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ST

Hello everyone, I would like your advice for a beginner. Recently I bought a T8, I want to sharpen my knives. How many degrees do I need to set with the angle adjustment. For example, I want to sharpen a Japanese knife at an angle of 15 degrees. How many degrees should I set 15, per side or 7.5 degrees per side. Thanks in advance for the comments.

RichColvin

Is the Japanese knife sharpened on both sides, or only one?
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Quote from: ST on June 01, 2024, 10:25:08 AMHello everyone, I would like your advice for a beginner. Recently I bought a T8, I want to sharpen my knives. How many degrees do I need to set with the angle adjustment. For example, I want to sharpen a Japanese knife at an angle of 15 degrees. How many degrees should I set 15, per side or 7.5 degrees per side. Thanks in advance for the comments.

You probably didn't pick the best knife to ask this.  "Japanese knife" come in a wide variety.  Also may not be the best knife to learn on.  Also you need to define "at an angle of 15 degrees".  Total or per side?

The AngleMaster measures the angle per side, on a standard knife where you measure from the side of the blade, as shown in the instructions.  It doesn't account for the blade taper from spine to edge.  If it's a single bevel knife though, you could be measuring the total angle, and blade taper doesn't matter.

The new KS-123 jig always shows the "degree per side" (dps) angle, and gives the angle of the edge, regardless of blade taper.

So short answer, more information is needed.

p.s.  It also helps to mark the edge with a Sharpie, especially while learning, to make sure you're setting things up correctly, and removing metal where you want to.

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

ST

Hello, thanks for your answere. The knife is 15 degrees on one side, the knife it's self has 2 sides.

I'm still practicing on a cheap knife :-)

ST

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 01, 2024, 02:10:24 PM
Quote from: ST on June 01, 2024, 10:25:08 AMHello everyone, I would like your advice for a beginner. Recently I bought a T8, I want to sharpen my knives. How many degrees do I need to set with the angle adjustment. For example, I want to sharpen a Japanese knife at an angle of 15 degrees. How many degrees should I set 15, per side or 7.5 degrees per side. Thanks in advance for the comments.

You probably didn't pick the best knife to ask this.  "Japanese knife" come in a wide variety.  Also may not be the best knife to learn on.  Also you need to define "at an angle of 15 degrees".  Total or per side?

The AngleMaster measures the angle per side, on a standard knife where you measure from the side of the blade, as shown in the instructions.  It doesn't account for the blade taper from spine to edge.  If it's a single bevel knife though, you could be measuring the total angle, and blade taper doesn't matter.

The new KS-123 jig always shows the "degree per side" (dps) angle, and gives the angle of the edge, regardless of blade taper.

So short answer, more information is needed.

p.s.  It also helps to mark the edge with a Sharpie, especially while learning, to make sure you're setting things up correctly, and removing metal where you want to.

I'm sorry if I have made some misstakes, I will try to inform you better.
So it's a two sideded knife, I have some cheap knifes to practice on. If I correctly understood you all, the Angelmaster I should set for example 15 degrees per side and not 30 degrees.

cbwx34

Quote from: ST on June 01, 2024, 02:14:35 PMHello, thanks for your answere. The knife is 15 degrees on one side, the knife it's self has 2 sides.

I'm still practicing on a cheap knife :-)

If you're using the AngleMaster, then you'll set it at 15 deg. (if the blade tapers from spine to edge, maybe a bit higher), and measure from the side of the knife, as shown in the instructions.

It'll be worth it to get the new KS-123 for setting angles... makes the process on knives easier than the AngleMaster.  Or look into the calcualtor app, (link in my signature.)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

ST

Okay cbwx34 and others,

Thanks for your advice, I understood it al. And I agree it will be worth to buy the KS-123 for setting up the angels. Once again thank you all for the advice. And I will try to understand the Calcapp ;-)