News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

HoneRite and the SJ-250

Started by CopperFish, May 26, 2024, 12:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CopperFish

Amazon has the SJ-250 20% off so I decided to get it. I normally use CBN wheels and use HoneRite in my water to keep from rusting the knives or the wheels. Will the HoneRite damage the Japanese wheel? For convenience I'd like to avoid changing out water between wheels.

John Hancock Sr

Given the price of hone rite and the possible wastage and contamination from the slurry I would not do it myself. It could get quite expensive.

** Edited as per Ken's correction! **
As for the possibility of clogging the wheel, Tormek juice since it may driy it clogs the wheel. From the hone rite site "It can also be used with Japanese water stones and diamond honing plates." So clearly they consider it suitable, but if you find that it clogs the stone as it dries then you may need to occasionally clean it with water or even re-dress the wheel it it is too bad.

I would have thought that there is no harm in trying considering their own advice above. The worst that could happen is you have to occasionally clean or re-dress the wheel.

RickKrung

I would not do it.  I use all three diamond wheels with the Tormek ACC juice.  When I switch to the SJ wheel, I pour the ACC water into a jar and replace it in the trough with plain water.  The SJ wheel gives off so much slurry, I do not want it contaminating the ACC water.  When done with the SJ, I toss it, rinse the trough and if I'm going to use the diamond wheels again, return the ACC water.  Don't know what the HoneRite costs, but I would not want to be consuming it by using a new batch every time I put the diamond wheels on. 
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

I have not used HoneRite Gold or my SJ-250 in a long time. (This is not a criticism of either.)

John, I have not read anything from Tormek cautioning agaiinst using ACC (Tormek juice) with the SJ. Would you please post your source?

As ACC and Hone Rite Gold are sold by different companies, I might expect a non commital answer from either like "Our product works well. We have not tested other products."

Here is a link to one possible solution:

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/products/tormek-t8-water-trough

A spare water trough is inexpensive and easy to change out. There is never any cross contamination.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on May 27, 2024, 02:42:36 PMJohn, I have not read anything from Tormek cautioning agaiinst using ACC

You are correct. From Tormek's description "Anti-corrosion concentrate won't harm your regular grindstones if you have it in the water, so you can keep treated water if you want to switch between a diamond grinding wheel and a grindstone, and then back again."

I edited my response above since I was clearly wrong :(

Having said that I do recall where one user noted that the dried compound did tend to clog the wheels but it can be easily remedied.

CopperFish

Ken your solution is so easy and simple.

John Hancock Sr