News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New angle jig KS-123

Started by John Hancock Sr, May 20, 2024, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: Sir Amwell on June 19, 2024, 12:54:36 AM...
Or, like Pers prototype, could one set the projection before going near the stone?

You can set it away from the stone, but for ease of use, should be snapped on the USB.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tcsharpen

Depending on the knife blade/handle length, and perhaps whether you have the longer US-430 USB, you could even put the KS-123 onto the USB out past the stone, or even hanging down from the USB, and set the projection. Then the weight of the knife/jig helps ensure it is against the USB and the spring brings the v up to the knife edge. Then slide it over to set the angle on the stone. It is really quite flexible how you do it.

3D Anvil

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 19, 2024, 02:33:24 AM
Quote from: 3D Anvil on June 19, 2024, 02:03:58 AMIt occurred to me that they could put a projection scale on the jig, so you could set it manually that way.

If you have a combo square, caliper, etc. you could use that to set the Projection...

You cannot view this attachment.

... a scale would be convenient though.

Great idea!

Swemek

This thing was a game changer for me. It's so much quicker and more fun to sharpen knives since I got it. KS-123 made me sell my diamond stone, invest in a second machine. It is very nice not having to remove either the stone or the honing wheel.

v6turbo

Wow huge difference for me too, I have t4, and I just use it for my knives.

Tried it on a pocket knife, got 78 BESS score

Using it for the other honing side is so much better and easy to do 1/2 degrees higher too

Love this !

v6turbo

Quote from: AlInAussieLand on June 15, 2024, 02:51:01 PMWhen you get yours guys, can you do a check for me with a practise knife?
Try setting it up trailing...
So, using the MB-102 Multibase and setting it up for trailing type grinding on the stone, try setting the angle to lets say 15 degree and put a grind on it.
Mine without a doubt creates a far more shallow grind then 15 degrees.
Grinding it the traditional way, so with the stone turning towards the edge while grinding, the angle is spot on.
I have T4 and the honing wheel is very small, I have to be careful and adjust the in/out of the mb-102 to get angle under 15

I just did a 12 angel and it had to fuss with it to clear everything for the 123 jig.

however once its all clear it works - for 10 angel i think i need bigger honing wheel

v6turbo

I just used this in my 2inch ZDP-189 on 12 degree and got 57-62-52 BESS test on the clips :)

massive game change for people like me that sharpen house knives and are not able to build up the muscle memory for honing

the MB-200 was confusing and inconsistent

for example going from my find diamond stone to SJ 4000 i checked the angel really fast and it was maybe 1/4 degree off and i was able to quickly correct this, impossible with the other methods

I wonder if digital angle gauge can be used some how to ensure exact angels ?

cbwx34

Quote from: v6turbo on June 22, 2024, 10:42:22 PM...

I'm not sure there is with the KS jig, but Perra has made a couple of forum threads that might interest you...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4885.0

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic=5510.0

Dutchman

What do you mean by "exact"? By using the KS-123, the angle "exactly" becomes the value you choose on the scale. You have to trust that scale, but that also applies to the values given by the digital angle gauge.

Ken S

All measuring tools have inheritent limitations. Perhaps we should say "within tolerance" instead of "exact".

Ken

v6turbo

Quote from: Dutchman on June 24, 2024, 10:21:48 AM
What do you mean by "exact"? By using the KS-123, the angle "exactly" becomes the value you choose on the scale. You have to trust that scale, but that also applies to the values given by the digital angle gauge.
with my other sharpener i set the angle exactly to within 0.1 degree

i'm wondering if i can set the angle gauge on the top of the 123 and verify the angle, the gauge on the 123 is nice but its still just "eyeballing" it - especially since this can be very much affect by viewing angle of the 123

i'll have to find another knife and try this out later...... all my knives are suddenly sharp now lol

3D Anvil

In my limited experience, the 123 let's you get to within about 0.5° accuracy, with about half of that variation coming from the slop in the USB threads.

Drilon

Is it really so important that the angle is very precise? I think it is important to get the same angle from grinding to grinding to avoid unnecessary material waist. For the use of the knife it makes no difference if the angle is 14, 15 or 16 degrees.

KnifeChef

Quick way to match the existing angle using the marker method & the KS-123?

cbwx34

Quote from: KnifeChef on June 24, 2024, 09:54:57 PMQuick way to match the existing angle using the marker method & the KS-123?

Setting/matching the angle using the marker method, is done independent of the KS-123 (or any other method for setting the angle on the Tormek, other than something that measures the angle on the knife itself).  You can use the KS-123 to check what the angle is, after matching the current angle on the knife.