News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The T1. Should I get one?

Started by Rob, April 14, 2024, 11:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Hello Tormekky's

Long time no post.  I do hope you're all well 😎

I've just seen an ad for the home kitchen sharpener. Should I buy one?  They look awfully nice 😊

Love to all.

Ken, I trust you're well?

Rob
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Hi, Rob.

Welcome back. It is good to hear from you; you have been missed. While you were missing, your Uncle Bob has been busy. In fact, he was mentioned in the Agatha Christie Death on the Nile episode my wife and I watched this morning.

I happen to have a T1. I like it; I think you would, too. It is a specialty machine designed for the serious home cook. Instead of just my occasional user thoughts, I think Samuel Stenhem does a much better job of describing it in this Tormek online class. I met Samuel during my week long visit to Tormek last August. We had several opportunities for in depth one on one conversations. In addition to being a good guy, Samuel is the CEO of Tormek and uses his T1 daily in his home kitchen. Here is a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/live/nqD0cefN0yU?si=pA1zYPBFWIeORWAA

Don't be a stranger, Rob. You are a friend and part of this family.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Fortunately I don't have to make that decision since they are not released here in Australia. I dread the time when it is released and I have to make that decision.

Ken S

John,
Is the T2 available in Australia?
Ken

Rob

Quote from: Ken S on April 14, 2024, 10:49:01 PMHi, Rob.

Welcome back. It is good to hear from you; you have been missed. While you were missing, your Uncle Bob has been busy. In fact, he was mentioned in the Agatha Christie Death on the Nile episode my wife and I watched this morning.

I happen to have a T1. I like it; I think you would, too. It is a specialty machine designed for the serious home cook. Instead of just my occasional user thoughts, I think Samuel Stenhem does a much better job of describing it in this Tormek online class. I met Samuel during my week long visit to Tormek last August. We had several opportunities for in depth one on one conversations. In addition to being a good guy, Samuel is the CEO of Tormek and uses his T1 daily in his home kitchen. Here is a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/live/nqD0cefN0yU?si=pA1zYPBFWIeORWAA

Don't be a stranger, Rob. You are a friend and part of this family.

Ken

You're very kind Ken and I don't believe there can be another forum on the planet when one gets welcomed back with such warmth and humanity, like the return of the prodigal son. Again, you are too kind 😊

Staying on topic for a minute, don't be too hasty to reduce your own experience with the T1. Ironically it was that Tormek video you linked that first alerted me to the T1. I think the Internet knows I'm a sucker for a new gadget and slams me with messages the moment one hoves into view! 

So my needs are very simple, I'm a bloke and need to post rationalise the purchase of a new gadget. Hang on, that's not right...I mean...er...I'm interested in an effective knife sharpening system.

Seriously though, I am a bit of a frustrated chef and have the lovely shiny Global set of knives. I have used the T7 a few times but the setup is a bit of a faff and it means a trip to the workshop etc.

Is the T1 as simple to use and does it leave a genuinely tomato slicing (no toothy) finish as the posh demos portray?  Your own experience is in a way more valuable than Sweden because you will give a "mortals" perspective. Those Gods in Sweden can make things look very easy.

Also what's all this talk about composite honing wheels?  All new in my absence??  This is a wheel with paste integrated right?  How does that work?

I think in a nutshell, I want one, the question is, does it really work well, quickly and with minimal fuss?  Is Bob really my Uncle? 

By the way are Herman and Elden still with us?  Is Jeff Farris still OK?

All the best
R

Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

I'm still here, Rob. I post occasionally. Haven't heard from Jeff or Elden in a long time. I won't be spending any more money on sharpening tools. The SuperGrind (T7) with my homemade jig makes it a breeze to sharpen knives. My "workshop" is my attached garage, just 5 steps out my kitchen door and I'm in front of my sharpening station. We have a modest collection of mid-priced kitchen knives that serve us well. The only thing I'm thinking of adding is a ceramic honing rod.

I do only a bit of woodworking these days. Mostly repairs. For example, recently built a couple of short sections of cedar fencing and a gate to complete a job that was mostly done by contractors we and the neighbors hired. My next project is to refurbish my tool shed doors with a bit of woodworking and some fresh paint. Since retiring a few years ago my interests have turned to things like pickleball.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Rob,

Yes, Bob really is your uncle. . . .

As much as I like and respect the very skilled Tormek staff, it is reallythe Robs and Kens (and their wallets) which keep the whole ball of wax going. I do find the T1 easy to use. Yes, the target market is home cooks who are untrained in sharpening. In my opinion, they have fulfilled that goal very well. I also feel that they have done a good job a good job of catering to a different market, The Samuels, Robs and Kens who have years of experience and a T7/8 in the workshop. The T1, like the T2, offers quick and accurate setup. No water or honing paste is needed and he knife holding ig couldn't be easier to set. Yes, we might occasionally want to do major repair work on a damaged knife That's the domain of the Big T we have in the shop. With the T1, we can have the knife sharpened and/or honed bofore the Big T is set up.

The T1's diamond wheel isjust the ticket or Global knives.

The composite wheel is nothing new.I think Tormek actually had them briefly years ago. I have had a et of three "rust erasers" for decades which have served me very well.

As with any tool,a little practice helps.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Rob on April 15, 2024, 10:34:28 AMAlso what's all this talk about composite honing wheels?

To add to what Ken said, the composite wheel is in effect rubber embedded with abrasive. It is coarser than your typical leather strop or wheel with honing compound. Probably equivalent to a strop with one of the coarser compounds.

The composite wheel is perfectly fine for removing the burr but will not get you super refined. For that you would probably want to add a leather strop. I know Bazz from Findon Sharpening here in Adelaide takes his knives to a leather strop to get a super refined edge but for most kitchens the composite wheel is perfectly fine to quickly get you back to work with a perfectly useable edge.

Ken S

Herman,

Thanks for posting. I have always appreciated your mixture of an experienced college physics teacher and practical home shop workshopper.

John,

In the absence of a T1, the T2 makes a good stand in. It costs more; however, it has interchangeable diamond wheels.

I have wondered if the composite honing wheel could be used as a "stone grader" by using it first dry and then moistened.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on April 16, 2024, 01:22:46 AMIn the absence of a T1, the T2 makes a good stand in

The T1 is pretty much novice proof (reluctant to use teh "i" word). It would be for the wife to use mainly so that she can undestroy the knives she constantly destroy. She out never use a T2.

Ken S

John,
A suggestion- my wife is an excellent cook. I am not. She does the cooking; I maintain the knives and do the chopping. This efficient division of labor provides us with tasty meals. It also gives me hands on feedback about our knives.
Ken

John Hancock Sr

TBH I would still be the one using it ;)

Ken S

John,

As you (and I) are the ones who enjoy sharpening knives, would that be such a bad thing?

Ken

Ken S

I think it is fair to say that an experienced sharpener would be getting excellent results sharpening typical kitchen knives with any of the Tormek models.

Ken