News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tip against waterlogging when using the Tormek

Started by WimSpi, March 27, 2024, 08:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WimSpi

Waterlogging is a tricky little problem with the Tormek, though. Many have the Tormek rubber mat under it to catch the water.

I have that too. This rubber mat (RM-533) is on a wooden plate of 18mm plywood.

What I have done is the following:
1) the Tormek stands as far to the left as possible on this rubber mat
2) Under the plywood plate I put a piece of plywood of 3mm thickness on the left lath.

Now when water drips off the Tormek, it all flows to the right side of the rubber plate. I can easily reach that and dip it up with some kitchen paper.
I aim for a water drain on the right side, so that it immediately flows into a bucket.

That the Tormek is skewed 3 mm is not noticeable.

John_B

One thing I learned early on after purchasing the T8 was to keep the water trough as low as possible when the machine is running. After initial filling I let it run until the wheel absorbs the water. I then refill and lower trough so that wheel is submerged no more than a half inch. This significantly reduces spillage during use.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

WimSpi

So do I. And when I change a stone, I also drain the stone well, in the water trough. Quite a lot of water still comes off there.

tgbto