News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

older Tormek?

Started by Ken S, March 18, 2024, 05:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I see frequent topics wondering about whether or not to purchase an older Tormek. This forum is probably the best place to ask these questions, as many of us have extensive experience with older Tormeks.

What concerns me is what I usually don't see in these topics. What is the asking price compared to the cost of a new Tormek. I do not mean to minimize the cost of a new Tormek on one's budget; however, what I have seen of used prices is often very close to the cost of a new unit. Before I purchased my T7, I knew nothing about the used Tormek market. A good used Tormek at a fair price would have been very tempting to me, even a T-2000 in good condition.

Please do not misunderstand me. A T-2000 is a solid machine, usually with many years of useful life remaining. It is compatable with all the latest jigs and accessories. With Tormek's no obsolescense policy, worn, missing, or non working parts can be replaced. Even a severe case, like a rusted shaft with a frozen grinding wheel, can be replaced. If the initial price of the used unit is low enough, even expensive repairs like this may be cost effective. However, at the listed prices I have seen, this is rarely the case.

A rebuilt older Tormek is not the same thng as a new Tormek. It normally does not have Tormek's iron clad eight year (5+3 years if registered) warranty. Tormek has incorporated many innovations over the years. I upgraded the drive wheel of my T7. The new drive wheel is zinc instead of plastic and will probably never break. The rubber wheel is a patented rubberlike surface for better performance. The paint on the housing has improved rust resistance. The present universal supports are threaded for the microadjusts. The alignment of the shaft and sleeves is more precise with the machined zinc top. The present version of the TT-50 truing tool is much improved over the T-2000 vintage truing tool and improved over the original TT-50.

Is a used T-2000 a good buy? For the right price, I would buy one, but only at the right price. I still believe a new user who does not have a trusted coach is better served with a new, fully warranted Tormek.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

In short yes. However ...

The issues you raise are genuine and all very good. I had the opportunity to purchase a lightly used, almost new Tormek for a heavy discount about 10 years ago but procrastinated too long.

A 2011 T7 came up at an auction last year and we secured it for about $160 when they are about $1,000 plus change new here in Australia. However it had some bad rust to the body, rusted shaft, so bad that the wheel broke trying to remove it, worn SEE-76 square edge jig (worked sort of ok), and no water tray.

I did some sharpening with it as it was and it was OK and could have continued to use it in that condition, but wanted to get it to as close to original as I could.

So, new shaft, new wheel, new water tray, new SE-77, new grading stone, were all ordered. I then cleaned off all of the old rust and cleaned up the paint work. I had a Kill Rust blue which I tested against the original colour in a spray can and this was a very close match so used that to touch up the cleaned up areas. With all of the replacement parts it looked pretty much like new and the overall cost was still about 2/3 new cost which to my mind was coming out way ahead.

Would I do it again - absolutely yes. I ended up with a fully restored machine for well below new price. I had to wait another ten years to get one so there is that.

Second hand Tormeks are very rare in Australia and extremely rare in Adelaide so ten years between drinks is to be expected. Where they are more common they should come up more often and more chance of one for a good price. The question is, are you willing to bide your time whilst waiting and keeping your eye peeled?

John Hancock Sr

In answer to your first question about asking price, rare to see more than a couple of hundred in discount against new. The Tormek is one of those where people know their value and usually don't discount much. Which is why it took me over ten years to find a bargain.

Ken S

John,

My table saw is a 1931 Eight inch Delta tilting table saw. I have learned how to tune it and would not trade it for a new one. While a Tormek is less complicated, when I first purchased my T7, I did not know how to tune it. (I do now,)

What I want to say is a person with some machinery experience can certainly make good use of an older Tormek. A new user without this experience may have a shorter learning curve with a new, warranteed machine. If possible, find a good coach when starting out. (Your son has the ideal situation.)

Ken