News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Just bought a Tormek 2000 and question regarding motor

Started by Johan T, March 14, 2024, 11:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan T

Hi!

New to the forum, and soon owner of a used Tormek 2000
I bought online. Good price, but while inspecting the pictures thoroughly I suspect the motor has been changed.

It says it's a Tyco W 100 (at 240V), while reviews state its 200 Watts.

Does this look alright, or should I try to cancel the order?

Kind regards
Johan

Ken S

Johan,

My first question would be which electric power your country has. Thelabel on this motor looks like it says 240 volts, 50 hertz. That is the standard electric power for Europe. (For the US and Canada, it is 110 volts, 60 hertz. If the label does not match your national power, the answer is a defnite no for purchase.

You should contact Tormek support (support@tormek.se). Support works Monday through Friday. Unless you have a long enough time window to cancel, I would recommend that you cancel the sale.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

If you look here

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/115V-Motor-for-T-8-Including-Bushings-and-Spring-P2154C370.aspx

you will see that the Tormek motor is indeed 100W. That is a differently branded motor but the label looks similar. Also that is a Crompton motor which did merge with Tyco and they do make reasonable quality motors. It may very well be that they supplied motors for Tormek at one stage.

If in doubt do contact support as Ken says but if it were me I would really not be bothered considering it is the correct power and a Crompton motor.

Ken S

John,
Admittedly, I have no expertise in motors. Was the machine and motor used in the seller's country before being sold?
Ken

Johan T

Thanks for the swift replies!

I'm in holy Tormek land (Sweden) so the 240 volts is correct here. I have a day to test it out after I receive it, so I will mail Tormek just to have it clarified.

I believe it is a sales trick, that states 200W effect in, but the motor runs at 100W.

HaioPaio

This is not a sales trick. The power at the motor label ist the mechanical power, the motor can deliver.
The Power from the T8 Specs ist the maximum electrical power consumption the machine will draw from mains.
The ration of power consumption to delivered mechanical power is called energy efficiency.
The motor used in a T8 is a so called capacitor motor and it is normal for motors in that power range to have efficiencies between 50% and 60%.
During startup, the motor draws more current and the manufacturer shows correctly a power consumption of 200W in the T8 specs.
I hope that helps to understand the miracle.