News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Thinking caps on, please!

Started by Ken S, March 05, 2024, 02:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

We have a forum member who needs our help.  In this case, the member is me. For the past six months, I have had deteriorating balace and general exhaustion.

My Tormek is presently setup in my basement workshop. This is very inconvenient, as going up and dowstairs is hazardous with my balance. I believe I can handle one or two round trips.
I don't know how long lastingave these symptoms will be. After numerous tests, blood tests, and scans. we have a very good idea of what I do not have and no clue as to what I do have.

Working with the Tormek has been an important part of my life since 2009. I think I could contnue if I switch to a sitting position. Your thoughts and suggestions will be most appreciated.

Ken

RickKrung

Sitting is pretty much the only way I use my T8. I do it this way because I have mild neuropathy in my legs and it is painful for me to stand for long periods. 

I use the vertical USB, which is on the back of the case, just wrap my hands around and over.  I sit in a standard, armless, wheeled, swivel chair (what we used to call a secretary's chair - had it since 1985). Currently, the T8 is on a standard height folding table.  This puts the T8 is a bit higher than I would like, but it works.  What I like better is to have the T8 on a sturdy stool, but that stool is occupied holding up my spindle sander. I've had the stool since my first job out of college, in 1972, came from a nuclear power plant job site in Verplank, NY. 

Working with the T8 on the stool allows less raising of my arms, which is more comfortable, particularly for longer sessions.  But working at the standard table height, I routinely sharpen 6-12 knives at a time and do not think about it at all.  The only real downside of the stool is the lack of adjacent workspace, at the same height.  I just use it next to a bench or table for all the accessories.  A minor downside is having to move the T8 to the stool from the table where it sits most of the time.  Or in the case of having stowed it on shelves, getting it out and lifting it onto the stool, but that would happen whether it was going to be used on the table or stool.  I believe the stool height is 18". 

The one think I can think of that I do standing are dills.  The DBS-22 jig is set up an angle such that it just works better standing.  This is definitely one that would work better on the stool, but as I said, it is occupied. 

Rick

You cannot view this attachment.

Update: Just recalled that when I was evaluating the Vevor drill sharpening machine, I used the T8/DBS-22 at the same time, but put it on a common plastic milk crate, the kind I've posted often for storing and transporting the T8 and grinding wheels.  Just turned it upside down and put the cafeteria tray on it to catch the drips.  Height of the inverted milk crate is on the order of 12" but I didn't even notice the working height, other than recalling being perfectly comfortable with it.  Shown is the T8 in a milk crate. 

I also recalled that I made a child sized workbench for my granddaughter, including a woodworking vise.  She never really used it, except as a cafe table.  It is as high or slightly higher than the wooden stool shown above.  I think it would work fine and would actually provide a little bit of adjacent workspace for accessories, etc. 

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Wain

Ken sorry to here you are feeling unwell, have you had your vitamin d levels checked?

John_B

My younger sister and I each had something like vertigo a few years ago. Thankfully, it went away without treatment. I hope yours gets better soon.

Sitting or moving everything up stairs seem like good options until you resolve the problem. If I needed to I could move my setup to the garage although Winter sharpening would require a bit of heat for comfort during the below 0ºF days.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on March 05, 2024, 02:50:51 PM...
Working with the Tormek has been an important part of my life since 2009. I think I could contnue if I switch to a sitting position. Your thoughts and suggestions will be most appreciated.

Take a look at some of Knifegrinders videos... he had his Tormek sitting on what I think he said was a motorcycle maintenance stand or something like that, and sat behind it on a stool.  There's an example in this video...

Edit:  Found where he described it:  Stand for Tormek of a dirt bike stand
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Thank you all for your replies. They affirm my belief in the value of community.

CB, I remember Wootz using a stool and sitting whie using his Tormeks. I have thought about setting up two Tormeks in aivoting fashion.

John, I will discuss the vertigo possibiity with my doctor.

Wain, I have blood tests every six monthe as part of my wellness program. Vitamin D deficiency showed up until I added it as a supplement. It is no longer showing as a deficiecy. However, I will discuss it with my doctor. I think highly of Dr. John Campbell who posts videos on youtube. He frequently metions vitamin D.

Rick, You and I have frequently exchanged emails over the years. In fact, you were my inspiration for posting this topic. I have long considered the probability of switching tothe ighter weight T4 as I get older. Facing the reality of having to work sitting down really did not occur to me until last fall. Thank goodness he Tormek is such a versatile machine. And, I am grateful that this forum is such  good hearted, sharing group.

Ken

tgbto

Ken,

I hope this is only temporary and you will get better soon.

As far as the Tormek is concerned, I have no doubt you will find a solution even with the heavyweight T-8. You should probably begin by how you need to sit to feel comfortable and relaxed. Your choice of stool, chair or the like is the critical item in my view, more so than the Tormek installation. It should also accomodate the fact that your Tormek will need to be quite close to your body to avoid stress to your arms and back.

Then I'm sure your DIY skills or your favorite contractors will find a very basic table to lay your T-8 on at the perfect height using a minimal amount of real estate, and your rotary base on top of your rubber mat will work wonders.

Cheers,

Nick.

John_B

Do you have a Harbor Freight store nearby? They sell a wheeled and padded mechanics stool that is easily adjusted. I used one for years when I taught pottery and needed to be at the same level as students when using the wheel. I would also use the same one for when I threw pots on the wheel.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

TheSeldomSeenKid

@Ken S Consider getting a cardboard box the size of the Tormek and using a variety of tables, stools and chairs, see what would be comfortable when mimicking sharpening.

Note: There are a some excellent doctors who specialize in balance disorders. Consider calling Dr. Ian Purcell at the Senta Clinic in San Diego, as it may be possible he has a recommendation for someone in your area.

Ken S

I appreciate all of the replies. I hope they will benefit many more members than just me.

Over the years, I have seen numerous questions from new members wanting advice to built "the ideal stand and storage area" for their Tormeks. I have been reluctant to suggest final specifications. Too much can change. I am more of a "cardboard box" kind of designer. I have a child's table top I rescued from the trash fifty years ago. I fashioned legs and supports from odd pieces of 2x4. Over the years, I have used it as a stand for a drill press, a jointer, and a couple dry grinders as well as a Tormek. I have also used my Workmate, my workbench, my dining room table, and my Tormek Work Station as work stands for my Tormek. None of these have been "ideal", although they all work.

I will adapt to my new seated working. Adapting won't be a big deal. I will share the process and appreciate your help.

Ken

Naf

For me, it was ultimately far easier to simply elevate myself than somehow lower everything else I wanted to have surrounding me. 

My workbenches have several inches of travel in their adjustable legs plus more travel in their adjustable feet; fully lowered results in a surface height of 28".  My chair/stool has 10" travel (seat height range of 22"-32"); the lowest setting allows my legs to be fully under the benches, while the highest allows the seat to be 4" higher than the base of the Tormek!

Similarly, I think you should consider raising yourself up, rather than lowering everything else, especially since you're hoping it's a temporary thing.  If the sitting requirement reverts, you could simply push the chair/stool out of the way; everything is where it always was.

Links:

Chair/stool -
     https://tinyurl.com/2x23p849 | Mine ("Urethane Tall") has the upgraded 10" stroke option (for maximum height) and their standard 18" (diameter) chrome footring.  I also added their Deluxe Adjustable Arms, as well as their Urethane Braking Casters (they release when weight is applied, which keep it stationary while you sit down).  They also have optional bin boxes / water bottle / tool holders that can be affixed to help keep things within reach, as well as Desk-Height & ESD versions.

Footrest -
     https://tinyurl.com/456a9pcs | Dangling feet seems to hurt the back of my thighs, over time; though my stool does have footring, I prefer to switch back and forth often.

John_B

Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

pe2dave

What is the difference in height, from your elbow to the base of the Tormek?
That should give an indication of the seat height vs 'bench' (stool, box, whatever) in use?
  Just a thought.

Ken S

Good thoughts, all; thank you. I think some trial and error practice runs are in order. I will kee you all posted.

Ken