News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing Paste Alternative?

Started by Rusty Rivers, March 01, 2024, 04:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Rivers

Hello Everyone,

My apologies in advance if this has already been addressed (I tried searching but could not find an answer).  Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the Tormek honing paste?

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Rusty

Here is a lnk to one of the Tormek online classes which may help you. Start at 31 minutes into the class.

https://www.youtube.com/live/R2ifZQOJA7k?si=D7tJauOLoqXhRVch

Notice how ittle of the honing paste Wolfgang uses. Using too much paste is a common problem. In addition to being wasteful, using too much paste also decreases the efficiency of the paste.

Although other pastes can be used, PA-70 has been Tormek's paste of choice for many years.

Ken

John_B

I think the honing wheel works better when you just use a little bit. I may apply  little for the first knife but don't need anymore after that. In the top to bottom cost of all things Tormek the paste is near or at the bottom with respect to price.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,

In studying the online classes, I have noticed several things which, while mentioned, I would like to see further emphasized. One such item is the manner of using honing paste. I like Wolfgang's expression, "make it your custom". He mentions how the honing paste is most effective when almost dry and that some users apply it early enough to allow it to dry while they are grinding. This seems so logical. It requires no extra time or hardware. It maximizes the efficiency of the honing paste. It should be partof our custom. It should be part of our habitual work habit and mastered before we even consider searching for other honing compounds.

A chef coordinates food preparation so that everything is ready to be served at the same time. We should alter our routine so that the leather honing wheel is ready for use when the sharpening part of the process is completed.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

You can use pretty much any honing compound or paste on the wheel. In effect it is simply a leather strop glued to a round wheel so anything you use on a strop will work.
Green compound is often used. Thus is slightly finer than your Tormek paste and can be rubbed in just as you would on a strop. Again you need to apply with each strop process and clean the wheel regularly.
Another one is metal polish paste. This is slightly coarser than the Tormek compound and comes in small tubs. (Try and get the one without ammonia.)
Both of these would be much cheaper than the Tormek compound but in reality the Tormek compound should last a very long time.

John_B

Quote from: John Hancock Sr on March 03, 2024, 11:14:20 PMYou can use pretty much any honing compound or paste on the wheel. In effect it is simply a leather strop glued to a round wheel so anything you use on a strop will work.
Green compound is often used. Thus is slightly finer than your Tormek paste and can be rubbed in just as you would on a strop. Again you need to apply with each strop process and clean the wheel regularly.
Another one is metal polish paste. This is slightly coarser than the Tormek compound and comes in small tubs. (Try and get the one without ammonia.)
Both of these would be much cheaper than the Tormek compound but in reality the Tormek compound should last a very long time.

I worry about the residual when changing grits of honing materials. I also use 1ยต diamond on a separate wheel I use for just this grit.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: John_B on March 04, 2024, 06:51:15 PMI worry about the residual when changing grits of honing materials

Probably valid concern but the grit does wear relatively quickly. I think the OP wants to just use something cheaper.

Rusty Rivers

Great feedback here, all. I suspected that I could use any compound used with a leather strop- thank you for the clarification. In the end, I ordered a few tubes of Tormek paste just to be safe (two of one is one, one of one is none  8) )

In the beginning, I 'over-did' the Tormek paste but have since been using a much smaller amount.

Highly appreciate the helpful discussion!

Rusty

John Hall

Peek, or Autosol metal polish works well