News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

USB Height Above Shaft Centerline - T8 vs T4

Started by RickKrung, February 20, 2024, 04:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

I'm working on setting up my 8" slow speed Rikon bench grinder for sharpening drill bits using the DBS-22 drill bit jig.  I am curious if there is a height difference of the USB bar, relative to the machine shaft centerline when set up on the two sizes of Tormek machines, T8 and T4.  This could be a question pertaining to other jigs as well, for example, if Tormek designed them to be the same. 

I measured my T8, with the USB set up in the horizontal (front) slots and distanced from a true 250mm grinding wheel using the Tormek lip clearance angle template, per the instructions.  Distance between the USB centerline and the machine shaft centerline was about 4cm.  Measured it by measuring from the bench top surface to each centerline and subtracted (24.3cm - 20.3cm = 4cm).

If someone with a T4 and the DBS-22 could set up the USB for the DBS-22 and measure the these heights, I would really appreciate it. 

Part of why I ask is that I'm using an FVB in a BGM-100 setup in the horizontal position and a standard USB vertical in the FVB, so I have no reference this height so the drill point addresses the wheel in an orientation similar to on the Tormeks.  Instructions for setting up the BGM-100 do not address the sort of setup I'm working with, putting the USB well below the centerline of the grinder. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on February 20, 2024, 04:05:10 AMI'm working on setting up my 8" slow speed Rikon bench grinder for sharpening drill bits using the DBS-22 drill bit jig.  I am curious if there is a height difference of the USB bar, relative to the machine shaft centerline when set up on the two sizes of Tormek machines, T8 and T4.  This could be a question pertaining to other jigs as well, for example, if Tormek designed them to be the same. 

I measured my T8, with the USB set up in the horizontal (front) slots and distanced from a true 250mm grinding wheel using the Tormek lip clearance angle template, per the instructions.  Distance between the USB centerline and the machine shaft centerline was about 4cm.  Measured it by measuring from the bench top surface to each centerline and subtracted (24.3cm - 20.3cm = 4cm).

If someone with a T4 and the DBS-22 could set up the USB for the DBS-22 and measure the these heights, I would really appreciate it. 

Part of why I ask is that I'm using an FVB in a BGM-100 setup in the horizontal position and a standard USB vertical in the FVB, so I have no reference this height so the drill point addresses the wheel in an orientation similar to on the Tormeks.  Instructions for setting up the BGM-100 do not address the sort of setup I'm working with, putting the USB well below the centerline of the grinder. 

Rick

I guess I'm not sure what you want... 'cause it sounds like all you want is the distance between the center of the USB in the horizontal position, to the center of the driveshaft... Constant HH in jvh's diagram...

You cannot view this attachment.

... which on the T-4 I measure as 29mm.  But I don't need a DBS-22 to measure that, so I don't know if that is what you want?  (If not, maybe show in a pic or diagram.)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

That is precisely what I am interested in.  Thank you. 

Found my copy of TormekCalc and diagrams as well as the "Settings" sheet that lists those values.  T8 is 41mm, T4 is 29mm. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.