News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

cant sharpen anything square

Started by jas the chippy, July 07, 2008, 11:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jas the chippy

hey guys, i just purchased my T7 and i cant seem to sharpen anything square in the square edge jig, whether it be a chisel or hand plane blade they are out by just over 1mm on a 25mm chisel and over 2mm on a plane blade. i know this may not sound like much but i dont know if i am doing anything wrong or there is a problem with my jig. If any one else has had this problem or has a solution any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Farris

There are a couple of things to check, the first and most important is to verify that the grindstone and the Universal Support are parallel with each other.  Bring the Universal Support down to the grindstone and look at the gap between them.  If the gap is parallel, then all is well.  If the gap is not parallel, you need to true the wheel with the TT-50 Truing Tool.

On wider tools, like plane irons, it is very important that the pressure you apply and the time you spend on each part of the iron is equal.  I keep a small square handy and check the grind while I am working.  If I find that a skew is developing, I will concentrate my grinding on the long point of the skew for a few seconds, and then blend back into a flat line.

Jeff Farris