News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T8 custom - Df200?

Started by Wain, February 10, 2024, 06:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wain

Can any one tell me if the T8 can run df200 or dose it have to run a df250, reason is I would like to sharpen my own woodchipper blades, so the t8 is a bit more industrial for those purposes than the t4, but my chipper manual recommends hollow ground radius of 100mm -75mm, any help would be appreciated.
Wain

RickKrung

I would think a chipper blade would be badly damaged and need quite a lot of grinding.  I would not want to try to do that with just a "DF" (fine diamond) wheel. 

I'd think a traditional grinder/grinding wheel might be better suited for that job.

But, if you really want to use your T4, I think a really good option would be to mount a traditional 8" grinding wheel, such as a Norton 3X on it.  I have a T8 and did this before I had any diamond wheels and before I had a slow speed grinder or Viel belt grinder.  It worked very well for heavier metal removal, ran it in the water just like a Tormek wheel so no overheating issues and trued it using the Tormek truing tool. (Video shows truing a no-name, 10" grinding wheel, but it is the same as with any other wheel.)

Try doing a search on "Norton 3X" and read the various discussions. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Wain

Thanks for the reply Rick
I think I understand what your saying, so my t8 which has a df250 on it which i use to sharpen all my hand tools, will accept the df200 on the t8 shaft, but for badly damaged blades i would be better off with a more traditional stone set up?
Haven't had my t8 long so quite new to a sharpening systems like this
wain

John Hancock Sr

I suspect that they "hollow grind" specification is probably written by some documentation guy and not really someone who understands the engineering. I can jsut hear the conversation;
Doco guy: How do you finish the the blades
Engineer: Oh, on a grinder
Doco guy: So what sort of grinder
Engineer: We use a machine with a 100mm stone but it can wear down to 75mm before we replace it
Doco guy: so what do you call the finish that type of grinder leaves
Engineer: Hollow grind
Doco guy makes note: "So hollow grind 100 - 75mm

As Rick says you don't need to be too fussy with chipper blades. An 80G wheel is more than good enough, 120 if you are super fussy. All you need is an edge really. Mounting an Aluminium Oxide wheel on the T8 is plenty good enough. I'll probably try this myself next time I sharpen my blades.

RickKrung

Quote from: Wain on February 11, 2024, 12:42:33 PMThanks for the reply Rick
I think I understand what your saying, so my t8 which has a df250 on it which i use to sharpen all my hand tools, will accept the df200 on the t8 shaft, but for badly damaged blades i would be better off with a more traditional stone set up?
Haven't had my t8 long so quite new to a sharpening systems like this
wain

I misread, missing that you are asking about putting a T4 sized wheel on a T8.  I don't know how well it fits.  There may be a difference in the shaft length and width of the wheels.  What I said about using a traditional grinding wheel on either a T4 or T8 stands.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Wain

Thanks for your input/advice John And Rick,
 the reason i was so attracted to the diamond wheels is the no faffing around and it keeping the same diameter ie 200mm for the whole life of the chipper blades hollow grind, i would usually send them off for sharpening in 2 or 3 sets at a time but cost and end sharpen is getting expensive and poorly performed, so i decided i would be better doing it myself, and in a 2-3 years the t8 will pay for its self, plus as a small tree surgery business i have lots of other tools and other friends who need stuff sharpening
I did get a response from tormek about the axel/shaft and its the same across the t4-t8
prob being a bit to fussy, but i hate blunt tools whatever they are, you always pay for it down the line  :D
Will post on here when i sort it out,
again thanks for the help in my sharpening journey       

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Wain on February 12, 2024, 09:12:41 PMi hate blunt tools whatever they are

I hear you. My father-in-law decided to scrape up the leaves and twigs and throw them into the hopper. You can imagine what the included gravel did to the blades. That was pre-Tormek so I did the blades freehand on an 8" grinder using a tool rest set at the appropriate angle. I now have the planer blade jig so may try them in there if they will fit, but they may be too thick, I need to check.

Wain

John,
 I have modified the svh-320 with some longer bolts it now fits my tw230 blades which are 20mm thick

Ken S

Wain,

Mounting a DF-200 (or any Tormek 200mm diameter wheel) on a T8 is easily and accurately done. The bore diameter is identical; the DF-200 slides in. The difference in thickness is easily compensated by adding an extra Washer for Stone. Place the extra washer next to the original washer behind the grinding wheel. Adding the extra washer makes the DF-200 a perfect fit. Here is a link to the washer:

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Washer-for-Stone-P2059.aspx :)  ;)

I would order the washer at the same time as the grinding wheel to minimize shipping costs.

Putting a thin voating of white lithium grease on the inside face of both washers will prevent the EZYlock from locking up.

Keep us posted.

Ken

PS before writing this, I mounted my DF-200 on my T8 using a spare washer to confirm everything.

Wain

Thanks Ken for taking the time to try it
Much appreciated :)

Wain

Update,
heres a few pic of the setup, takes a bit of time with a 220 grit which is the only stone i had with a 8mm hole, realy need like you guys said 8o-120 grit but with a 8mm hole but cant seem to find one here in the uk

Wain