News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

A thicker specialty knife for batoning

Started by Ken S, January 25, 2024, 05:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

In my efforts to learn more about bushcrafting knives, I keep encountering videos which include batoning (using a knife to split small pieces of wood).

In general,I prefer smaller knives. The typical Moras seem plenty large to me for most "camp chores", although perhaps smallish for batoning. This intrigued me:

https://youtu.be/epbUPi-0hnA?si=9NyMNGOVmO7wIhdi

(Starts at about 16:00)

This small, inexpensive Ontario machete looks just the ticket for batoning small wood. The blade is just under five mm thick, well within the range of the KJ-45. It is compact and light. It seems ideal for pairing with a Mora.

I do not desire to become a knife collector. This seems a worthy, inexpensive addition to my humble collection.

Ken

PS This was out of stock at Knife Center. I actually purchased it on Amazon.

GeoBoy

Ken, take a look at the Silky Nata for batoning small wood and also as hatchet/machette.

Ken S

Geoboy,

Interesting line of cutting tools. Based on the prices, I suspect they are of higher quality than the Ontario machete I purchased. My thought is how much quality is necessary for the batoning function? In my case as a senior citizen who likes knives, but heats and cooks with natural gas, I doubt the small machete will be much used.

I have more interest in smaller knives better suited for general camping chores than "survival". He seven inch blade length and simple construction seem well matched to batoning. The size and weight do not seem to impose a hardship for most campers, while allowing the design of the primary knife to be better suited to poking and carving.

I had thought about making a batoning tool. For thirty five USD, purchasing seemed more cost effective. For a younger person with more ambitious plans, he Silky Nata would seem a better choice.

Ken

Thy Will Be Done

Have you measured the edge angle on it?  From what I've seen from Ontario in the past it would not surprise me were the edge angle on the order of 30 Degrees Per Side.  This is about twice as obtuse as it really needs to be in order to have a relatively durable edge for wood cutting.  I'd bring that down to at least 17 DPS, personally.

Ken S

Interesting comment. We must be talking about two different knives. I would agree that 30° per side is too obtuse. However; I measured my knife with my Tormek square. The bevel was more acute than the most acute notch on the square (25° inclusive). This puzzles me. 30°per side seems much too obtuse. Less than half of 25° inclusive seems too acute. Your suggested 17° per side seems much more practical.

The grind resembles a Scandinwith a secondary bevel. The Scandi part or the grind seems close to 35° inclusive. Ontario Knife made more than one model of knife/machete. Perhaps like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, one is too obtuse and one is too acute. Maybe we have to grind "the just right angle" ourselves. So much for field testing. . .

Ken