News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Edge for right handed, Global Knifes

Started by Seaserpent, January 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaserpent

Hi,

Bought a set of Global knifes, then I read the documentation that came with the knifes it says that Global knifes are specially sharpened to fit right handed people.
I can't figure out how that will be sharpened.
Anyone who hacen any idea?

I'm using a T8 with the original stone and a Japan stone.

tgbto

Hello,

Could you reference the specific knives you are talking about ? Most Global knives AFAIK have a symmetric edge. I have about ten of those and I sharpen them as any other knife.

Some traditional japanese knives (deba, yanagiba) and maybe a couple other such as the chopper have single-sided bevel and a hollow back. Those cannot be properly sharpened on a Tormek unless you want to completely mess up the shape of the blade. They are designed to be easily sharpened manually on a flat sharpening stone. Doing so is much easier than sharpening a thin-beveled western knife on a stone, as the knife serves as a natural guide.

I know of several brands of japanese knives (Misono, Suisin, and many others) where the edge is symmetrical in terms of angle, but not in terms of number of passes (they often mention 70-30). Maybe Global started doing this too. In that case, the knife has a noticeably smaller bevel on the left side, sometimes akin to a microbevel. I suggest sharpening those with a 3-to-1 ratio for right side vs left side first. Check your progress often to make sure you're keeping the same aspect. I am not skilled enough at cutting vegetables to notice any difference for a 70-30 vs 50-50 ratio on a thin knife such as a gyutou or a suji.