News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to sharpen massive 1" timberframing chisels?

Started by sharpening_weasel, January 16, 2024, 04:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharpening_weasel

Title. None of the jigs I have fit the chisels I use for timberframing- the skew jig is too small, the short tool jig is too small, and the general flat table surface jig references off the wrong side of the tool for me to put a bevel on it, if that makes sense. The bottom of my chisel is of course dead flat, but the top has a diamond cross section to it, so I can't reference off the top. Any suggestions? DIY jigs? Will Tormek ever come out with a "large chisel" jig, which I'd sell my soul, kidney, and firstborn child for?

Ken S

I think the jig you might need is the long out of production SVH-60 Straight Edge jig. This was the jig which preceded the SE-76 jig. The clamps operated from above, whereas the SE-76 and SE-77 tighten from below. These later jigs incorporated a squaring registration fence.

I remember a forum dialogue I had with member Ionut, one of our most advanced and innovative members, some twelve years ago. Ionut wanted to sharpen his traditional "pig sticker" mortising chisel. His chisel was too thick to fit in the SE-76 jig. The SVH-60 had enough extra thickness range to accommodate his mortise chisel.

Is your timber framing chisel slightly too thick to fit in the SE-76 or SE-77?
If so, hold off doing anything until after you read the PM I will be sending you.

Ken

RichColvin

I have a 40mm Two Cherries carpenters chisel (https://twocherriesusa.com/product/carpenters-chisel/) and sharpen it using the SE-77 (https://tormek.com/en/products/grinding-jigs/se-77-square-edge-jig).  I don't know the limits for the SE-77, but the 40mm carpenters chisel is quite large and there is room to spare in the SE-77 jig. 

The SE-77 jig works well, and I believe it would work for your chisel also.

If you go that route, consider using a 3D printed projection jig (https://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexJigs.html#ProjJigTTS100) with the TTS-100. It makes the setup of the SE-77 faster, easier, and more consistent. 

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

MetalPro

I have started to use the Tormek to sharpen my timber framing chisels including a 1 1/2" Union and a 2" Barr.  Apparently my inherited Supergrind came with the 'SVH-60'.  Didn't know the official number of this jig until I started poking around this forum (the jig is not labelled anywhere).  This system works great with a couple of finicky set up issues. I need to be careful the chisel is mounted as close to 90 degrees as possible in the jig, particularly if I run rotation against the edge on the SG250 then with the edge on a finer stone. The chisel needs to be reversed in the jig when I change stones and the 90 degree angle needs to be reset.  Also, I do not believe it is included in in the base selections of some of the angle setting software - info on the forum says the jig was discontinued in 2002 so that's certainly understandable.

MelodicMiller

I don't know if this is blasphemy or even allowed on this forum, but when I read about the long out of production SVH-60 Straight Edge jig, I thought that maybe also the patent is expired. Record power produces a jig that looks a lot like the SVH-60, but there is no information about the maximum size. The jig is called WG250/C Straight Edge Jig.

Ken S

I would post a wanted to buy listing on some of the other forums and ebay for a SVH-60. I had two soares, but have already given them to other forum members. They were included with T-2000 models for many years. I suspect most are now unused, having been superceded bo the SE-76 and SE-77.

In the meantime, the platform jig will give trooper service. Use a small square or the TTS-100 to scribe a square line on your grinding wheel.

Ken

John Hancock Sr